Wind affects little to surface currents

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

chysun

Wind affects little to surface currents

#1 Unread post by chysun »

Hi,
I'm doing an SCS(Southern China Sea) test case using ROMS,but I find my surface current field has little response to the wind field even there is a large scale cyclone.
Wind forcing is from ERA_ITERIM 10m wind with BLK_ZW set to 10 and bulk_flux defined. I'm sure ROMS reads the wind because sustr/svstr (output time-averaged surface stress) has the familiar pattern with wind field.However,when I check the ubar_sstr/vbar_sstr(surface stress diagnostic terms),it performs like what the bottom stress diagnostic terms is.
I think it pretty weird but cant explain.Is there anyone has experienced this issue before?
Look forward to your comments.

Best regards,
Haiyun
Attachments
chy_era.h
(2.15 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
pge_era_rx0.1.in
(118.79 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
topography.png
wind_currents.png
wind_day002.png
avg_suface_stress_day002.png
daig_sstr_day002.png
daig_bstr_day002.png

chysun

Re: Wind affects little to surface currents

#2 Unread post by chysun »

updates:
For wind-current plot I correct my time index to 00Z corresponding to HYCOM time coordinate.Then I can see wind effect at the surface but somehow it didn't simulate the eddy well. There must be something I should have taken care to improve my result (like diffusion coefficient for tracers,which is 40 m2/s in this case but not experienced).

For surface stress diagnostics term it is due to tide and there no "huge surface stress" when I am not applying tide options.

Look forward to your participation.

Haiyun
Attachments
wind_currents_day263.png