Just simple tidal boundary problem!

Report or discuss software problems and other woes

Moderators: arango, robertson

dhtjtks

Just simple tidal boundary problem!

#1 Unread post by dhtjtks »

I just want to simulate simple bay type problem. I closed north, east and south. I just open west boundary. And I gave 2m amplitude free surface elevation. But it looks wierd at west boundary. What is the problem and solution? This is the part of my cpp file.

#define EASTERN_WALL
#define SOUTHERN_WALL
#define NORTHERN_WALL
#define WEST_FSCHAPMAN
#define ANA_FSOBC
#define WEST_M2FLATHER
#define ANA_M2OBC
#define WEST_M3GRADIENT
#undef ANA_M3OBC
#define WEST_TCLAMPED
#define ANA_TOBC

kate

#2 Unread post by kate »

What looks weird, 2D or 3D fields? Is it a stratified run? Have you tried it without SOLVE_3D?

dhtjtks

#3 Unread post by dhtjtks »

No I didn't tried without SOLVE_3D. I think if I set amplitude equals 2m at western boundary, then it must have 2m amplitude. But it didn't have 2m amplitude. Result showed around 1m amplitude at western boundary and 2m at eastern wall. How can I fix it?

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

You have ANA_M2OBC set. What are you providing for the currents?

Are you trying for a realistic geometry? Is it a square bay that is meant to resonate with the tides? It's reminding me of a homework in Zigmunt Kowalik's tides class.

dhtjtks

#5 Unread post by dhtjtks »

First of all, I am sorry for late response. Now I just copy 'estuary_test' case and closed east boundary. So it looks like just closed_estuary. And what I want to do is that just 1m amplitude with M2 tide on west open boundary. In this case I set up 1m amplitude at 'ana_fsobc'. Usually, if I give amplitude, model solve u and v with amplitude changing in other models. But it doesn't look like that. Is it correct? Then how can I adjust 1m amplitude with 'ana_m2obc'? Try and error? What I am thinking is if I set amplitude equals 1m then it must be 1m at the boundary; if there is no resonance. If you need my input file, I will post it. Please check my error!

Thanks again Kate!