Calculation of NAVG and NDEFAVG in Leap and NonLeap Years

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

yadusharma

Calculation of NAVG and NDEFAVG in Leap and NonLeap Years

#1 Unread post by yadusharma »

Dear ROMS Users/Developers
I am still in the beginning stage of understanding the ROMS model and I am confused regarding the calculation of NAVG and NDEFAVG. Things were easier in case of a 360 Days calendar with 30 days in a month set up. Suppose my timestep is 600 seconds and if I want to get Monthly averaged data by setting NAVG and Yearly averaged file by setting NDEFAVG, in an actual calendar set up with months having 30,31,28 and 29 number of days and years having 365 and 365.25 days. Sorry to ask if I am wrong in understanding the calculation and hope some suggestions regarding this. Thanking all.

kate

Re: Calculation of NAVG and NDEFAVG in Leap and NonLeap Year

#2 Unread post by kate »

Reality can be annoying, can't it? I know of ROMS model output with 365 day years and "3-day averages" of 73 hours (works out to 120/year). I usually save daily, then make monthly means from those. Raphael Dussin gave me a Python script for renaming the files to have the date in the file name, which makes the monthly means easy.

Other models keep track of yearday, etc. and can be asked to write monthly means with varying days/month, but ROMS is not one of them. CICE for instance can do this, but you have to tell it the year and yearday of your starting time. You don't want your restarts to happen mid-month, though.