Abnormal SST and unsatisfying heat flux in the model output

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

shuwen

Abnormal SST and unsatisfying heat flux in the model output

#1 Unread post by shuwen »

Hi all,

I am testing different climatological surface forcing for ROMS in our model domain (Northeast North Atlantic (NENA), focusing on Mid-Atlantic Bight area (MAB) ) but now I get some unrealistic results.

Since ROMS could be forced in two different ways: either by direct surface flux or using bulk formula, I conducted two test cases ——

Case I: Using NCEP/CFSR atmospheric parameters (air temperature, humidity, wind speed, solar radiation, long wave radiation etc) and let ROMS calculates surface fluxes from bulk formula then imposes to the ROMS model.

Case II: Using HYCOM surface net heat flux , NCEP/CFSR momentum flux (i.e. wind stress) and freshwater flux (i.e. E-P).

Here are model results:

For case I, in the following figure, the upper one shows the annual mean net heat flux (Qnet) from climatologic results. The 50,75,100,200-m-depth contours are shown as black lines; the lower one shows Qnet downloaded directly from HYCOM dataset.

Obviously, for Georges Bank, in ROMS it gains too much heat; for New England Shelf, in ROMS it keeps gaining heat while in HYCOM it looses heat.

[img]/Users/shuwenzhang/Documents/MATLAB/Cold_Pool/Clm_New/ROMS_NCEP/Clm_30level/Clm_30level_heatfllux/ROMS_Compare_with_Hycom/Annualmean_shflux.jpg[/img]

For case II, the following figure shows SST in Month 2,5,8,11 (i.e. Feb, May, Aug and Nov) but SST is extremely high but I couldn't figure out the reason.

[img]/Users/shuwenzhang/Documents/MATLAB/Cold_Pool/Clm_New/ROMS_NCEP/Clm_15lyrs/NCEP_clm_frc/NCEP_SST_MAB.eps[/img]

We have used ROMS to build up a sophisticated ocean circulation model, with open boundary conditions provided by HYCOM. Now we would like to look into thermal features in this area. But now apparently neither ways of the surface forcing is satisfactory. Could anyone give me some hints? I really appreciated that.

shuwen

Re: Abnormal SST and unsatisfying heat flux in the model out

#2 Unread post by shuwen »

Whoops! The figures don't show up. I attach the two figures here. Sorry about that.
Attachments
Annualmean_shflux.jpg
Last edited by shuwen on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shuwen

Re: Abnormal SST and unsatisfying heat flux in the model out

#3 Unread post by shuwen »

Here is the second figure.
Attachments
NCEP_SST_MAB.jpg