help:can not unpack -xvzf netcdf.tar.Z

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

eastwind111

help:can not unpack -xvzf netcdf.tar.Z

#1 Unread post by eastwind111 »

When I tried to install NetCDF, I met a problem. I downloaded -xvzf netcdf.tar.Z, via "cd ~/softwarewget" and "http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/n ... tcdf.tar.Z". But when unpack it, using "tar -xvzf netcdf.tar.Z"; some error appeared:

gzip:stdin:not in gzip format
tar:child returned status 1
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.

Also, size of the downloaded file "netcdf.tar.Z" is only 8 kb. Is the downloaded file a wrong one? How to get the right file?

Another question is how to deal with this error:
After I customised the Build Script and tried to compile ROMS, by "./build.bash", the screen showed:
./build.bash:line 40:$'\r':command not found
./build.bash:line 43:$'\r':command not found
./build.bash:line 46:syntax error near unexpected token '$'in\r''
'/build.bash:line 46: ' case "$1" in

regards,

kate

Re: help:can not unpack -xvzf netcdf.tar.Z

#2 Unread post by kate »

The file netcdf.tar.Z is in compress format, not gzip format. Try changing z to Z in the tar command. However, you are right that 8 kb is too small for the thing. Do you have enough disk space for it? Do you have disk quotas? Try again to see if you can get a bigger file.

eastwind111

#3 Unread post by eastwind111 »

kate wrote:The file netcdf.tar.Z is in compress format, not gzip format. Try changing z to Z in the tar command. However, you are right that 8 kb is too small for the thing. Do you have enough disk space for it? Do you have disk quotas? Try again to see if you can get a bigger file.

Thank you very much, Kate. Now it is being downloaded correctly.
Could you please also check the second question?

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

You're asking about the build.bash? It ought to be in the FAQ: do a search on dos2unix in here and you'll see it.

eastwind111

#5 Unread post by eastwind111 »

kate wrote:You're asking about the build.bash? It ought to be in the FAQ: do a search on dos2unix in here and you'll see it.
I am sorry I cann't find it. It isn't in the FAQ. Could you please provide more information about this problem?