On the problem that NO3 keeps accumulating and phytoplankton does not grow when running UMAINE 15 model

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

zhengyc

On the problem that NO3 keeps accumulating and phytoplankton does not grow when running UMAINE 15 model

#1 Unread post by zhengyc »

Hi all,
At present, I am running the coupling of ROMS and UMINE mode, but my output results always show that NO3 will continue to accumulate, I do not know where the problem is, may I ask you what aspects should I start to solve this problem.

Thank you!

Youchang
Attachments
图片1.png
spa_plot_20131231.png

dullman

Re: On the problem that NO3 keeps accumulating and phytoplankton does not grow when running UMAINE 15 model

#2 Unread post by dullman »

Hi,
in the UMAINE15 model, phytoplankton can take up nitrogen both from NO3 and NH4.
NH4 is generally preferentially used and the extent of this is governed by the parameters pis1 and pis2.
you don't say what time level the maps of phytoplankton and nutrients are made, nor where the site for
the stations output plots you show are, so it is difficult to say what is going on here.

also, be aware that phytoplankton growth is also regulated by PO4, SiO2 (for diatoms) and light. if any
one of these is low, so too is phytoplankton growth.