update of "Waves Effect on Currents" ?

Discussions, suggestions and corrections to ROMS/TOMS documentation currently under developement.

Moderators: arango, robertson

Dan_chan

update of "Waves Effect on Currents" ?

#1 Unread post by Dan_chan »

Hi,

I found ROMS update "Waves Effect on Currents" in roms.in (https://www.myroms.org/projects/src/ticket/943) which I have never used in old versions. I am very confused of these settings and how to activate ?

wilkin

Re: update of "Waves Effect on Currents" ?

#2 Unread post by wilkin »

The trac ticket you note #943 explains ....
The ROMS source code was consolidated due to changes for new developments:
... including ...
Porting the Waves Effect on Currents (WEC) based on the Vortex Force formulation of Uchiyama et al. (2010) and Kumar et al. (2012) based on COAWST implementation.
The Kumar et al (2012) paper is here: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ocemod.2012.01.003

And, importantly ...
The actual algorithms are not released yet. However, it will be available soon in the ROMS GitHub repository in feature/kernel and feature/wec branches.

The feature branches are intended for superusers, advanced users, and beta testers.
We are in the process of introducing ROMS into the NOAA Unified Forecast System framework, and it will take some time to complete this and release test cases and documentation.

This is an effort to merge several features that have been in ROMS-COAWST for a long time (model coupling and dynamical effects of waves on currents) with the myroms.org repository, and use the flexibility of the NUOPC/ESMF coupling framework that is, in principle, less invasive into the individual model codes so that development of the respective models can proceed without breaking coupling.
John Wilkin: DMCS Rutgers University
71 Dudley Rd, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8521, USA. ph: 609-630-0559 jwilkin@rutgers.edu

Dan_chan

Re: update of "Waves Effect on Currents" ?

#3 Unread post by Dan_chan »

Thank you for answers :D

:!: I changed the revision 1192 back to 1170 without "Waves Effect on Currents", but pio failed to compile.

revision 1192:
image-20230926191545808.png
I used the same external libraries in revision 1170:
image-20230926191600315.png