Calculate tracer vertical diffusion coefficients offline?

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

dylanrs617

Calculate tracer vertical diffusion coefficients offline?

#1 Unread post by dylanrs617 »

Is it possible to calculate the vertical tracer diffusion coefficients "AKt" or "AKs" offline with model output? I'm using the GLS k-epsilon vertical mixing scheme for context and would appreciate if there's a way to compute them using the model equations.

I'd like to construct an offline temperature budget for a realistic, two-way nested simulation of the Texas-Louisiana shelf. I have some diagnostic files from an older hindcast available to QC my calculations, but not from the year I need for the analysis. I can close the heat budget with diagnostic files to machine precision as expected, however, we didn't output AKt in the avg. or his. files so I can't calculate any offline errors associated with the vertical diffusion term for future calculations. I've done some offline analysis of the salinity variance budgets for an unrelated publication and found the calculations can be very skewed quantitatively but qualitatively correct, but that was for numerical mixing work. I'm interested in characterizing the broader term balance and not expecting to close the budget.