How to obtain pressure or pressure gradient in ROMS

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

jc_Sun

How to obtain pressure or pressure gradient in ROMS

#1 Unread post by jc_Sun »

Dear users,
Maybe I'm asking a stupid question, but I still can't figure out a good way to determine it after reading some posts. This is because I am asking to solve the kinetic energy budget equation, but the pressure or pressure gradient in the equation is not known to me. So what I am asking is whether the pressure or pressure gradient is included in the output of ROMS? If I define DIAGNOSTICS_TS and DIAGNOSTICS_UV in the head file and it does have the variable pressure gradient, but that's a time average value, how do I achieve that if I want to get the instantaneous value? Do I have to find the pressure P by P=ρgh+ρv^2/2 or density-Jacobian method? I'm looking forward to your answers!

rduran

Re: How to obtain pressure or pressure gradient in ROMS

#2 Unread post by rduran »

pressure gradient:
  • the averaged value tends to the instantaneous value as the averaging period tends to zero, six-hourly averages may not be much different than the instantaneous value you need.
  • you can hack the code to not average
pressure:
  • you can compute the pressure by integrating density (computed from T,S) with SSH as a boundary condition, there are routines for this out there

jc_Sun

Re: How to obtain pressure or pressure gradient in ROMS

#3 Unread post by jc_Sun »

rduran wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:27 pm pressure gradient:
  • the averaged value tends to the instantaneous value as the averaging period tends to zero, six-hourly averages may not be much different than the instantaneous value you need.
  • you can hack the code to not average
pressure:
  • you can compute the pressure by integrating density (computed from T,S) with SSH as a boundary condition, there are routines for this out there
Dear rduran
Thank you very much for your answer!