Poor results of temperature anomaly relative to OISST

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

collins

Poor results of temperature anomaly relative to OISST

#1 Unread post by collins »

Dear Seniors,
I am new to numerical modeling, and I want to research the temperature anomaly in the Bohai Sea and Yellow Sea. First of all, I compare the model results with OISST. The anomaly was computed by subtracting monthly climatological temperature from real-time monthly temperature, and the climatological baseline is 1994.01-2021.12.
Attachments are the ssta of OISST and ROMS, respectively. (I don't know how to add the pictures on this board directly, sorry... :( )

We can find that the ssta of OISST from 2021.11 to 2022.02 is relatively high, which extend to the whole Bohai Sea and Yellow Sea. The purple oval is the domain of Yellow Sea Warm Current, which show significant warming.

And the ssta of ROMS is also high, but the spatial distribution characteristics are very poor and chaotic. The domain of purple oval doesn't represent the clear warming, and means that it couldn't show the YSWC's characteristic. And the ssta around Jeju Island is also poor.

Below are my model configurations:
The third attachment is my grid, which includes the whole East China Sea. The bathymetry is from GEBCO2020.
And the initial and boundary condition is interpolated from HYCOM climatological and real-time monthly result, respectively, which includes T, S, u, v and ssh.
The atmospheric forcings are from ERA5 hourly reanalysis data.

And I also attach my .h and .in file.

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to see my problem. I wish you smooth work!

Sincerely,
Collins
Attachments
ecs_realtime.in
ecs_realtime.in
(160.97 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
ecs.h
ecs.h
(9.71 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
grid
grid
GRID.png (391.57 KiB) Viewed 2053 times