About the CPP option for the WRF-ROMS-SWAN coupling model

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

zhaolv

About the CPP option for the WRF-ROMS-SWAN coupling model

#1 Unread post by zhaolv »

Hi!
I was recently able to run the WRF-ROMS-SWAN coupled model successfully using COAWST. Now I would like to consider the effects of some wave-current interactions.
What should I do if I wish to add the effects of whitecapping (WEC_WCAP?) to the model? Do I turn on these switches at the same time?
#define GLS_MIXING
#define TKE_WAVEDISS
#define ZOS_HSIG
#define WAVE_MIXING

What if we want to calculate the effect of wave breaking? I didn't find the switch WEC_BREAKING. How should I change my CPP?
Thank you for your guidance!
Attachments
mangkhut.h
(1.73 KiB) Downloaded 81 times

jcwarner

Re: About the CPP option for the WRF-ROMS-SWAN coupling model

#2 Unread post by jcwarner »

you really should post this on the coawst site here:
https://github.com/jcwarner-usgs/COAWST/issues
because Rutgers ROMS does not have all the wave physics yet. We are porting them over but it will take some time.
Suggest you look at the COAWST user manual, test cases of Inlet_test, Rip_current, Duck, Sandy, etc.
Read Kumar's paper:
Nirnimesh Kumar, George Voulgaris, John C. Warner, Maitane Olabarrieta, Implementation of the vortex force formalism in the coupled ocean-atmosphere-wave-sediment transport (COAWST) modeling system for inner shelf and surf zone applications, Ocean Modelling, Volume 47, 2012, Pages 65-95, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ocemod.2012.01.003.

wave-current interaction is activated with
#define WEC_VF
#define WDISS_WAVEMOD
this will bring from SWAN: Dissip_wcap, Dissip_break (nearshore, not resolved by Sandy case), Dissip_fric (bottom friction)
All 3 can be written out separately to roms his files. Dissip break is used to drive wec.

use
#define GLS_MIXING
# if defined GLS_MIXING
# define KANTHA_CLAYSON
# define N2S2_HORAVG
# define RI_SPLINES
/* define these next 2 to include surface wave breaking for ocean surface stress*/
# undef CRAIG_BANNER
# undef CHARNOK
/* or define these next 2 to include surface wave breaking for a nearshore application*/
# undef ZOS_HSIG
# undef TKE_WAVEDISS