Problems in antarctic regional circulation and sea ice simulation

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

Ethaneeee

Problems in antarctic regional circulation and sea ice simulation

#1 Unread post by Ethaneeee »

Hi, I'm Ethan Zhou, a master student new to ROMS. I focus mainly on circulation and sea ice simulations in Pridz Bay, Antarctica. Part of my project is using ROMS to simulate circulation and sea ice conditions in bays. I'm now using a ROMS (with seaice) developed by kate. My domain has a resolution of 0.15 degrees and grids of about 200×100, including only some offshore sea areas. Now my difficulties are mainly as follows:

1. My model has three open boundaries : east, west and north, and there will be some false currents at the boundary, which will cause sea ice to accumulate at the open boundary in summer. As far as I know, most people use the circumpolar antarctic domain when doing Antarctic simulations to avoid too many open boundaries, and the northern boundary will be extended to areas free of sea ice as far as possible (e.g. 30°S). So should I change the border to the circumpolar Antarctic domain and extend the border to the north? However, due to the requirements of my project, the resolution should not be too low, and it has to be at least two kilometers near the shore and in the bay, and the use of such a circumpolar region may be too cumbersome. So, should I use the circumpolar domain, or maybe I need to try to use nest grids?

2. I learned that the sea ice version developed by kate is no longer updated, while the Norwegians are developing MetROMS, which is a version coupled to the CICE model. Should I try to use MetROMS to achieve better results? I would also like to ask if there is a manual for MetROMS to refer to?

3. The sea area in the bay are completely covered by sea ice in winter, which leads me to some difficulties when debugging the current field, because the interaction between the atmosphere and sea ice and the ocean may be difficult. Has anyone ever had experience adjusting such a current field? Now due to false gyre, my results have a large false polynya in the middle of the sea area in winter.

Many thanks,
Ethan
Attachments
false polynya in winter.jpeg
false polynya in winter.jpeg (27.45 KiB) Viewed 3201 times
false sea ice in summer.jpeg
false sea ice in summer.jpeg (24.33 KiB) Viewed 3201 times

kate

Re: Problems in antarctic regional circulation and sea ice simulation

#2 Unread post by kate »

You will have best results using nesting, the large domain being large enough to enclose all the southern ice.

Yes, I am no longer maintaining that ROMS ice model. Yes, the Norwegians are using MetROMS and they have put ice open boundaries into their CICE, similar to the ROMS open boundaries. You should just email them with all your MetROMS and CICE OBC questions. Ask if they have put in a pull request to the CICE repo with the OBC updates.

Ethaneeee

Re: Problems in antarctic regional circulation and sea ice simulation

#3 Unread post by Ethaneeee »

kate wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:59 pm You will have best results using nesting, the large domain being large enough to enclose all the southern ice.

Yes, I am no longer maintaining that ROMS ice model. Yes, the Norwegians are using MetROMS and they have put ice open boundaries into their CICE, similar to the ROMS open boundaries. You should just email them with all your MetROMS and CICE OBC questions. Ask if they have put in a pull request to the CICE repo with the OBC updates.
Thanks, Kate. I will consider your suggestions carefully. :D