pan-Arctic grid

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

proctorc

pan-Arctic grid

#1 Unread post by proctorc »

I am new to ROMS and modeling and am trying to use gridtools to create a grid for the Arctic. I am able to use the examples to generate netcdf files with variables: x, y, dx, dy, andgle_dx, area. Is this sufficient to use in ROMS? Also, it seems like gridtools is tailored to MOM6, and ROMS has an extra layer of rho points around the outside of the grid. How would I convert the MOM6 grid from the gridtools scripts to a ROMS grid? Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Claudette

kate

Re: pan-Arctic grid

#2 Unread post by kate »

Rob suggests creating a GitHub issue. It’s something he hasn’t tried yet.

proctorc

#3 Unread post by proctorc »

I submitted an issue on github. In the meantime, are there other tools to build a grid that would be useful at a pan-Arctic scale? I haven't found GridBuilder helpful -- I don't think there's a stereographic projection option available. I also tried gridgen, which gave me an ascii file (ArcticStereographic40km.depth_ascii). Can I convert this to a .nc file and use it as an input in pyroms? Or is there a better way to go about it?

Thanks,
Claudette

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

I've been using gridpak for my Arctic grids. It's some crazy mess of ancient software that no one else wants to use. It has gotten worse with time - I can't compile xcoast on our current supercomputer. That's one reason the goal is to develop Python tools for all this.

wilkin

#5 Unread post by wilkin »

I've been making simple rectangular equi-spaced grids in Matlab using an arbitrary Lambert projection which you can center on any point and rotate. There is a post here: viewtopic.php?p=23769#p23769. I have not tried, but I don't see any reason it would fail spanning the pole.
John Wilkin: DMCS Rutgers University
71 Dudley Rd, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8521, USA. ph: 609-630-0559 jwilkin@rutgers.edu