The roms simulates a 6 hour difference in tide levels.

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

zhaolv

The roms simulates a 6 hour difference in tide levels.

#1 Unread post by zhaolv »

Hello!
I am having a problem running the wrf, roms coupled mode. roms sea surface heights do not correspond to the measured tide level data. There is a difference of 6 hours between them and I would like to know why. How should I adjust it.
The tide level file I am using is Create_roms_tides.m in coawst. The data uses the osu dataset. The simulation is from 13 to 17 September 2018. And I think there should be no problem with the settings in the ".in" file.
Attachments
Create_roms_tides.m
(13.71 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
roms_mangkhut_r1.in
(153.54 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
zeta.png
zeta.png (178.9 KiB) Viewed 2302 times

jcwarner

Re: The roms simulates a 6 hour difference in tide levels.

#2 Unread post by jcwarner »

looks like the simulation starts with zeta = -0.5 but the obs are at +0.5.
so it will take a while for that barotropic mode to slosh out of the model. after 2 days the water levels look like they are starting to get into phase.
if that storm at time 40 is your main interest, i suggest you start the simulation a few days earlier.
-j

zhaolv

Re: The roms simulates a 6 hour difference in tide levels.

#3 Unread post by zhaolv »

jcwarner wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:33 pm looks like the simulation starts with zeta = -0.5 but the obs are at +0.5.
so it will take a while for that barotropic mode to slosh out of the model. after 2 days the water levels look like they are starting to get into phase.
if that storm at time 40 is your main interest, i suggest you start the simulation a few days earlier.
-j
Thank you for your reply.
My model was run two days in advance and the results are for two days later.
And at 40 hours, the typhoon is about to make landfall, which is why I think there is a rise in sea surface.
Attachments
zeta_1.png
zeta_1.png (29.54 KiB) Viewed 2241 times