Multiple Wind Field

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

soilinkin

Multiple Wind Field

#1 Unread post by soilinkin »

Hi all

I have a model domain that will require 2 different wind fields to be applied to different parts of the domain. I understand that if I have a global wind field in the forcing file, the global wind will be interpolated and rotated to fit the whole domain; and if I have a fully gridded wind field then the model will use the fully gridded wind in the forcing file directly.

Is it possible that ROMS can read 2 wind fields from forcing file, and interpolate or assign the winds automatically or based on certain specification? Or do I still have to assign/interpolate the 2 wind fields and rotate to xi/eta direction for each grid cell, and generate fully gridded wind field in the forcing file?

Thanks ahead for anyone who can help.

kate

Re: Multiple Wind Field

#2 Unread post by kate »

You can merge them before having ROMS read them and regrid/rotate them if they are both on lat/lon grids of the same resolution.

You can copy the ROMS code for reading then regrid/rotating winds to also read/rotate/regrid say Unwind2 and Vwind2. Then you can come up with some means of merging them inside the model, but you'll have to do that coding yourself.

soilinkin

#3 Unread post by soilinkin »

kate wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:54 pm You can merge them before having ROMS read them and regrid/rotate them if they are both on lat/lon grids of the same resolution.

You can copy the ROMS code for reading then regrid/rotating winds to also read/rotate/regrid say Unwind2 and Vwind2. Then you can come up with some means of merging them inside the model, but you'll have to do that coding yourself.
Thanks. I think it will be a bit easier to regrid with pre-processing.

Another question, is it ok to put regridded wind forcing and other global meteorology forcing in the same file as they are in different dimensions?

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

Yes, it doesn't care if you have one file or five. The variable names and dimensions all have to be appropriate to their fields.