cannot make bry file larger than 2g

Report or discuss software problems and other woes

Moderators: arango, robertson

WY0116

cannot make bry file larger than 2g

#1 Unread post by WY0116 »

dear all,
is there anybody using the rnc tool box to make preprocessing files for ROMS simulation,
As I want to simulate the internal tide, I need to make a really large boundary files (hourly).
I am using the rnc matlab box to create the bry file.
however, when I try to make a file larger than 2g, the matlab always give errors.
while, if the bry file is smller than 2g, it runs well.
Is the point that i was using the old netcdf toolbox?
I'd aprreciate if anybody could give me some advice, many thanks!

kate

Re: cannot make bry file larger than 2g

#2 Unread post by kate »

Yes, old netcdf files had a 2 GB limit. You can make a bunch of under 2 GB files and ask ROMS to read from one, then the next, then the next. Or you can convert them to a newer netcdf format (possibly even with compression) and concatenate them into one file.

WY0116

#3 Unread post by WY0116 »

kate wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:53 pm Yes, old netcdf files had a 2 GB limit. You can make a bunch of under 2 GB files and ask ROMS to read from one, then the next, then the next. Or you can convert them to a newer netcdf format (possibly even with compression) and concatenate them into one file.
Hi Kate,thanks very much. I'll try to split the bry file into several files as you suggestted.

WY0116

#4 Unread post by WY0116 »

kate wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:53 pm Yes, old netcdf files had a 2 GB limit. You can make a bunch of under 2 GB files and ask ROMS to read from one, then the next, then the next. Or you can convert them to a newer netcdf format (possibly even with compression) and concatenate them into one file.
Hi Kate,
Following your suggestion, I have splitted the bry data into 5 seperate files. My bry_time is set continuous in each file.But the model only read the first one, could you give me some suggestions?
I must have ignored something that need to be defined or changed.
thank you.
YW