problems to use d_ecmwf2roms

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

javadi

problems to use d_ecmwf2roms

#1 Unread post by javadi »

Dear users

I used d_ecmwf2roms and bulk fluxes. I have faced a problem to use this script. Based on codes and this forum, I should use both 00:00:00 12:00:00 and all-time step (0 3 6 9 12) in this link https://apps.ecmwf.int/datasets/data/in ... vtype=sfc/ to download data. Here is my problem, when downloading data, all data do not initiate at one time, leading to the running problem at the end of the month. How can I download data while the first and the last time would be the same for all variables? or how can I use d_ecmwf2roms to give me the data with the same time in the first and last time?

Here is my script. I do not change anything in this script to make forcing files. Although I made forcing for 2013..., I do not change any date in this script which is 2000.

In other words, some variables begin with 3:0:0 1 January 2013, others start at 1:30; thus, I could not define an appropriate refe time in the ocean.in when running file.

please help me with your interesting comments.
Attachments
d_ecmwf2roms.m
(18.18 KiB) Downloaded 144 times

wilkin

Re: problems to use d_ecmwf2roms

#2 Unread post by wilkin »

Your forcing files do not have to span precisely the interval of your simulation. Download extra files for the months before and after the run interval and concatenate them together (or use the | syntax in the FRCNAME list).

From the time of the initial conditions in your ININAME file, ROMS will figure out which records to read from the FRCNAME list.

Make the time coordinates have the same base date in the forcing files and initial conditions files. Then there is no need to mess with TIME_REF and DSTART - they will not help you.
John Wilkin: DMCS Rutgers University
71 Dudley Rd, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8521, USA. ph: 609-630-0559 jwilkin@rutgers.edu

javadi

Re: problems to use d_ecmwf2roms

#3 Unread post by javadi »

Dear wikin

Thank you so much for your suggestions.

Excuse me!

I am completely confused about this error!

I applied your points but the error is the same. I add some extra months to the interval but the error is the same. I know why this occurrence. You mentioned that my forcing files can lead to the error. The model works without any problem when I ignore bulk_fluxes(6 years). My initial data is for 1 Jan 2013 at 1:30 but my initial data for lrf_time is for 22:30 31 December 2012. I have two options. If I select 22:30 31 December, the model says the data is not. When I select 1:30, the tmin in lwrd would be (3/24=-0.125). I have checked the time for all variables. It shows that 10:30 can be a suitable case for all variables as all variables have this time. In this case, for wind tmin=-0.375(10.5-1.5/24) but for lwrd(10.5+1.5/24_=-0.5.For this reason, this problem exists. In other words, tmin for lwrd is more negative and in all cases, the error is the same. I consider 2013/06/01 as my initial time. Here tmin=-181 and tmax=184 for wind but for lwrd tmin=-181.125 and tmax=183.875. Why? Is it correct? It seems that the model sees the first data and with passing time shows more negative. I guess that it works to reverse!