How to use SEAICE

Discussion about modeling ice with ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

javadi

How to use SEAICE

#1 Unread post by javadi »

Dear users,

I have prepared all grides, my initial, forcing, river runoff … and run the model when using the trunk for one year. However, in some areas of my domain, we have ice with a thickness of 0.5 m between December to February. I have reviewed this form and I understood that I should use another branch to model ice. Then, I have installed kate branch in my system. I have compiled it and run the upwelling test case successfully. Also, I have read the manual which was prepared by Kate(2009). I think that I should use sea ice with ICE_SHOREFAST in my domain. But I do not understand exactly what to do to add ice to the model.
Everyone can explain how to do a couple of ROMS and Sea ice step by step? I don’t have any experience with coupling.

kate

Re: How to use SEAICE

#2 Unread post by kate »

I'm sorry, I'm no longer supporting that ice code. I'm five years into a plan to switch to using MOM6 instead, finally getting somewhere.

For ice with ROMS, the Norwegians are supporting their metroms package (but don't try to learn git from their example).

javadi

#3 Unread post by javadi »

Dear Kate

Thanks for your response!

My domain is the Caspian Sea. What is your suggestion to add ice to my model? What is the easiest way to add ice to my model?

I try to understand ice coverage and ice fraction and the effects of ice on the circulation of my area.

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

It is true that Paul Budgell put the ICE_SHOREFAST in there for the Caspian, but that was a long, long time ago. The ICE_LANDFAST is what I would use now, it's the Lemieux landfast ice parameterization which is also in CICE6. If you need it in CICE5, I can help with that.

Why would you read the manual from 2009? There is a newer one: https://github.com/kshedstrom/roms_manu ... manual.pdf