sediment Tracers on river source, NetCDF file

Sediment modeling collaborators: issues, applications, information exchange

Moderators: arango, robertson, rsignell

son-goku

sediment Tracers on river source, NetCDF file

#1 Unread post by son-goku »

Hi everyone

I configured sucesfull a model with rivers input, only Salinity and Temp. Both variables are specified in a river NetCDF input file.

Now I want add sediment tracers in the river NetCDF input file and define SEDIMENT module. but i not know how to do this.

Need you help for know this:

1.- what is the name of the sediment tracer (or variable name) that I should add to river NetCDF input file. (example: silt)
2.- what units should this variable have?
3.- can variate concentration of tracer in river NetCDF input file?
4.- what module should define in ocean.h to model sediment movement ?

thaks so much

stevenmiguelfigueroa

Re: sediment Tracers on river source, NetCDF file

#2 Unread post by stevenmiguelfigueroa »

Hey son-goku,

I think I can give an informal answer to those questions.

1. Sediment tracer names are either sand_01 or mud_01, and the numbers can increase depending on the number of size classes you want to use. Floc model may be different. These variable would be output from the model. When you activate sediment, you need to define sediment boundary conditions and the bed properties as model inputs (boundary netCDF file), as well as initial sediment and bed properties (initial netCDF input file).
2. I think the units are kg/m3. Refer to varinfo, and I think you can find the variable names and units.
3. Yes, you can vary the sediment concentrations from the river I think. You would do so by defining a variable in your input river netCDF file. In that case I think the variable name is river_sand_01, river_mud_01, and so on. Maybe look for those in varinfo.
4. I believe the module to define is just called 'SEDIMENT'. With that you could get basic noncohesive suspended load transport. You may also like to choose whether to include bedload, sediment density effects to the suspension density, flocculation, and bed morphodynamics change (called SEDMORPH). Maybe look in wikiroms for more info.

Also, if you use sediment, you also will need a sediment.in file, where you will define your sediment properties and what variables you want to output, similar to ocean.in.

One more thing, it may depend on your application, for a relatively small scale estuarine model I use, I found that the advection scheme is important, and the one called HSIMT works the best for me, and doesn't output negative sediment concentrations.