How to run COAWST model with real-time data

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

agpc

How to run COAWST model with real-time data

#1 Unread post by agpc »

Hi everyone,
I'm a new user of COAWST mode. Currently, I'm studying how to run COAWST with real-time data for forecasting purposes.
At the moment, I follow your guide on the manual of the model and I can perform some simulation cases. However, I have a problem when using the roms_master_climatology_coawst_mw.m program to acquire data from HYCOM + NCODA Global 1/12 Degree Analysis and interp to roms grid. The ROMS curvilinear grids (GLBa0.08) were entirely ended before November 2018.
So, can anyone give me some modified programs to create the initial, boundary and the clim field of a ROMS model?
Thank all,

kate

Re: How to run COAWST model with real-time data

#2 Unread post by kate »

I went through this exercise in pyroms, now in the pyroms/examples/Arctic_HYCOM_GLBy directory.

zhengyx

#3 Unread post by zhengyx »

kate wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:11 pm I went through this exercise in pyroms, now in the pyroms/examples/Arctic_HYCOM_GLBy directory.
hello, can you tell me the website of pyroms?

zhengyx

#4 Unread post by zhengyx »

agpc wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:33 pm Hi everyone,
I'm a new user of COAWST mode. Currently, I'm studying how to run COAWST with real-time data for forecasting purposes.
At the moment, I follow your guide on the manual of the model and I can perform some simulation cases. However, I have a problem when using the roms_master_climatology_coawst_mw.m program to acquire data from HYCOM + NCODA Global 1/12 Degree Analysis and interp to roms grid. The ROMS curvilinear grids (GLBa0.08) were entirely ended before November 2018.
So, can anyone give me some modified programs to create the initial, boundary and the clim field of a ROMS model?
Thank all,
have you run COAWST model with real-time data?

jcwarner

#5 Unread post by jcwarner »

you may have to do a little work for yourself, modify existing tools, or create new tools for your own particular application.
For example, the HYCOM variable 'u' has now been replaced in some locations with the variable 'water_u', etc.
If you look here:
http://tds.hycom.org/thredds/catalog.html
this lists all the data sets. you may have to pick / choose what works for you and modify the methods for your particular application.

There are other places to get data, like ERA5, etc.
-j

carlosag

#6 Unread post by carlosag »

Hello there,
Is there any place where I can read what each of the examples is trying to study?
I get lost very quickly.
Best,

jcwarner

#7 Unread post by jcwarner »

if you are having trouble getting hycom data, suggest that you use ECMWF data. John Wilkin has a nice set of tools to do this:
roms_get_era5_NCARds633_bulkflux.m
and
roms_write_era5_NCARds633_frcfile.m
from here:
https://github.com/johnwilkin/roms_wilkin