Curvilinear grid for ROMS

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

cloudy4568

Curvilinear grid for ROMS

#1 Unread post by cloudy4568 »

Hello, everyone!

I am trying to make a curvilinear grid for ROMS, this grid is at equal distance at polar regions so it is curvilinear in longitude and latitude, just like the attached picture. Does anyone have the experience of making such a curvilinear grid for ROMS? Like how to calculate the rotate angels in the curvilinear grid?

Thank you a lot for any of the help!
Attachments
Picture1.png

kate

Re: Curvilinear grid for ROMS

#2 Unread post by kate »

Yes, I can make a grid like that. However, you want your corners to be right angles. Also, a boundary across the pack ice will be hard to make well-behaved. We had a grid with a boundary at Bering Strait and we didn't like how that behaved either. I guess it depends on what your goals are.

How to do it? There are the usual GridBuilder, pygridgen, and other solutions.

cloudy4568

#3 Unread post by cloudy4568 »

Thank you, Kate! I think maybe I should put aside the issue of angles and make the grid first.

wilkin

#4 Unread post by wilkin »

If you make a simple rectangular grid in a conformal map projection, then when you convert back to lon/lat the orthogonality is preserved and you can compute all the grid metrics for the projected lon/lat.

I made a simple test in Matlab using a Lambert Conformal projection for an arbitrary region in the Labrador Sea. I confess it got gnarly when I tested a grid that straddled +/-180 but I'm sure you can figure that out.
fig2.png
fig1.png
fig1.png (86.37 KiB) Viewed 5154 times
John Wilkin: DMCS Rutgers University
71 Dudley Rd, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8521, USA. ph: 609-630-0559 jwilkin@rutgers.edu

cloudy4568

#5 Unread post by cloudy4568 »

Thank you, John! I have got the grid I expected with your method. Just make a rectangle grid in the Lambert Projection and then convert it back to lon/lat. Next I will try this curvilinear grid in ROMS. Thank you again for your help! :D
Attachments
Picture2.png
Picture2.png (299.79 KiB) Viewed 4901 times