Input Initial Conditions from External sources

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

Thronian

Input Initial Conditions from External sources

#1 Unread post by Thronian »

Hi, I'm new to ROMS modeling, I had succesfully run Upwelling Test case using customized local grid from Gridbuilder so far without using any input forcings or boundary conditions. I would like to ask regarding the input of Initial Conditions from NCEP-CFSV2 databases into ROMS using Upwelling test case to simulate salinity of a region.

I had search for datasets from the CFS model in the data access links from this website link (NCDC Data Archives) at below,
Link : https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/data-access/m ... ion2-cfsv2

The datasets turns out to be in multiple packages of file formats in GRIB2, inv2 etc. when i access in several data access link provided in Operational Analysis and Operational Forecasts. I not sure how to configure the files and in ROMS to apply forcings or initial boundary inputs provided from the datasets. Anyone could advise on this?

kate

Re: Input Initial Conditions from External sources

#2 Unread post by kate »

There are tools in various languages for creating these files from various input sources. Sometimes we have to get our hands dirty and create the exact tool we need from what's out there. I'm working with the pyroms package which can read the old HYCOM files but not the new HYCOM files. Also, the pyroms package is behind the time in terms of Python style. What tool are you hoping to use?

Thronian

Re: Input Initial Conditions from External sources

#3 Unread post by Thronian »

Not so sure what tools i would be using, but I can use Matlab if there's any suggestions. I'm not familiar with python but I can try and explore with it with pyroms toolbox. Thanks for the reply