bottom freshwater flux

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

xupeng66

bottom freshwater flux

#1 Unread post by xupeng66 »

Hello,

I have a question about the variable 'bwflux', which according to the metadata in varinfo.dat is the bottom freshwater flux. I suppose that variable is used for simulating offshore groundwater discharge. However, I could not find where that variable is used in the source code. The problem I have is, when I turned on salinity, I got an error saying 'inquiry' could not find variable 'bwflux'. That seems to suggest the model needs both surface (swflux) and bottom (bwflux) freshwater flux to calculate salinity at vertical boundaries. So can anyone tell me if 'bwflux' is actively used in the code? If not, how can I silence it?

Thanks!

kate

Re: bottom freshwater flux

#2 Unread post by kate »

In the model, the variable is called "btflx". Most of us set it to zero and #define ANA_BTFLUX and #define ANA_BSFLUX so that no files are used for the zeros.

xupeng66

Re: bottom freshwater flux

#3 Unread post by xupeng66 »

Thanks a lot, Kate. I added ANA_BSFLUX to my cpp list and it solved the problem. I had thought the ANA_BTFLUX flag covered both temperature and salinity, but apparently an additional flag is needed for the latter. Cheers!