ROMS using Windows Subsystem for Linux

Discussion on computers, ROMS installation and compiling

Moderators: arango, robertson

pwd1

ROMS using Windows Subsystem for Linux

#1 Unread post by pwd1 »

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. I have taken the installation of ROMS (rev 990) on my Windows 10 PC using Windows Subsystem for Linux quite far with successful compilation of ROMS executables, but I’m having an error running the Upwelling test case. In both the parallel and serial processor cases I get the following error in terminal:

Note: the following floating-point exceptions are signaling: IEEE_INVALID_FLAG IEEE_DIVIDE_BY_ZERO

I also get the following lines at the end of the log file after creating history, average, diagnostics stations and floats NC files:

RAN_INIT: arith assump 3 fails
program terminated by NRERROR

The same occurred with and without BIO_FENNEL turned on. Log file is attached.
Attachments
log.txt
(30.23 KiB) Downloaded 218 times

jpringle

Re: ROMS using Windows Subsystem for Linux

#2 Unread post by jpringle »

I have used windows subsytem with linux with Ubuntu 18.04, and it worked just like ubuntu on bare metal. have you tried your problem on regular linux box?

Jamie

pwd1

#3 Unread post by pwd1 »

Thanks for your question Jamie. I currently don't have the option to work on a Linux box at my location, whereas WSL appears to offer the advantage to not use a VM. My working ROMS projects are located on a remote Linux server that has a very different configuration than my local Ubuntu WSL.

Phil

pwd1

#4 Unread post by pwd1 »

I upgraded my Ubuntu version to 18.04 and it now works fine. Thanks for that hint. It was previously v 16.04 by default. Below is a helpful article discussing the method for upgrading Ubuntu in WSL.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandl ... ng-ubuntu/