Some questions about river input

Bug reports, work arounds and fixes

Moderators: arango, robertson

zzyfathead

Some questions about river input

#1 Unread post by zzyfathead »

Hi all,

I am a new user of ROMS and I am trying to run my test case.

There is a river flows into coastal ocean in my case.

And when I change the XI-position and ETA-position in rivers.nc, the result changes or even blows up.

When I set the postion where the left arrow points, it blows up. But when I set the position where the right arrow points, it can work.

I wonder that does it matter to set the position in the external part of the river or the interior of the river. Which one is better?

Thanks.
Attachments
1.png
1.png (12.35 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
Last edited by zzyfathead on Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

kate

Re: Some questions about river input

#2 Unread post by kate »

Are we looking at depth there? Where is the land mask? Are you sure you are putting the rivers where you think you are? Blows up how? Are you providing the river tracers (T and S)?

zzyfathead

#3 Unread post by zzyfathead »

kate wrote:Are we looking at depth there? Where is the land mask? Are you sure you are putting the rivers where you think you are? Blows up how? Are you providing the river tracers (T and S)?
Dear Kate,

Thank you so much,

1) The depth here is all 10m (hmin).

2) The yellow part is water mask and the blue part is land mask.

3) Yes, though the convention of the position fixing is complex, I have learned it carefully in the WikiROMS.

4)I have provided the TS (as constants).

5)It blows up when u and v becomes large in the river location.

I wonder that does it matter to set the position in the external part of the river or the interior of the river. Which one is better?

Thank you for you reply and sorry to fail to make myself clear.

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

You want river inputs to be from land to water as in your left arrow. The right arrow appears to be all within the land and will therefore do nothing at all.

How much transport are you asking for? What is the corresponding flow rate to go with it? Are you violating the ROMS speed limit? I have done so with Gulf of Alaska rivers which were fine until April when snow melt caused increased flow rates.

zzyfathead

#5 Unread post by zzyfathead »

kate wrote:You want river inputs to be from land to water as in your left arrow. The right arrow appears to be all within the land and will therefore do nothing at all.

How much transport are you asking for? What is the corresponding flow rate to go with it? Are you violating the ROMS speed limit? I have done so with Gulf of Alaska rivers which were fine until April when snow melt caused increased flow rates.
Thank you Kate, I find that my rate is too large (I confuse the ft/s or m3/s). And now it works. Thank you!