sediment initial conditions for median grain diameter

Sediment modeling collaborators: issues, applications, information exchange

Moderators: arango, robertson, rsignell

undave

sediment initial conditions for median grain diameter

#1 Unread post by undave »

I am trying to put together an initial conditions file for a sediment run and using the sediment_test case as an example. A few things I am confused about. In the sediment.in file, SAND_SD50 == 0.25d0, and MUD_SD50 == 0.25d0 , apparently in units of mm. In test_head_ini.nc, the grain_diameter is 0.3019 for every value. How is this median sediment grain diameter determined? Also, in the test_head_ini.nc file, the units for median sediment grain diameter is 'meter', should that be millimeters?
Also, the test_head_ini.nc file contains the variables sand01, sandfrac_01, and sandmass_01, but not the corresponding variables for the mud class. Why is that?

I could not find a matlab example for creating the initial conditions for sediment, the only relevant files I could find in ROMSMatlab directory are c_initial.m and d_initial.m. Are there some examples that would help guide me?

jcwarner

Re: sediment initial conditions for median grain diameter

#2 Unread post by jcwarner »

if you are serious about using the sediment capabilities, i suggest you use our coawst system. we have added more capabilities such as a more advanced bed load formulation, a floc model, and a faster positive definite advection scheme. we distribute m files for init conditions. you can send me an email to jcwarner@usgs.gov.

the shorter answer is that in the sediment.in files, the values are entered as mm
"! Median sediment grain diameter (mm).
SAND_SD50 == 0.25d0"

For test_head_ini.nc, i have not updated that case in a long time and not sure where that 0.319 is from. The nc file lists the units as meters and those units are ok but that value of .319 seems to not be ok. The values read from the sediment.in file in mm are multiplied by 1000 before written to a netcdf file.

"The test_head_ini.nc file contains the variables sand01, sandfrac_01, and sandmass_01, but not the corresponding variables for the mud class. Why is that?" - that is because the test case only activates sand
" NCS = 0 ! Number of cohesive (mud) sediment tracers
NNS = 1 ! Number of non-cohesive (sand) sediment tracers"

undave

Re: sediment initial conditions for median grain diameter

#3 Unread post by undave »

OK, Thanks for your response
David