Error in running ROMS (test case)

Report or discuss software problems and other woes

Moderators: arango, robertson

karthikeya_2015

Error in running ROMS (test case)

#1 Unread post by karthikeya_2015 »

Hi users,

I installed cygwin_NT-6.1 with netcdf-4.3 in my laptop and dowloaded ROMS code using the svn checkout option.

I tried the example project upwelling (wikiroms) but it gives error like this
./build.bash: line 40: $'\r': command not found
./build.bash: line 43: $'\r': command not found
./build.bash: line 46: syntax error near unexpected token `$'in\r''
'/build.bash: line 46: ` case "$1" in

I am herewith attaching my build.bash file (Project/Upwelling directory).

I am herewith attaching my build.bash file for your reference

Please help me to resolve the problem.

Have a good day

krish
Attachments
build.bash
Bash file
(17.4 KiB) Downloaded 230 times

kate

Re: Error in running ROMS (test case)

#2 Unread post by kate »

This question has been asked before and can be solved by a google search, finding things like:
When all else fails in Cygwin...
Try running the dos2unix command on the file in question.
It might help when you see error messages like this:
-bash: '\r': command not found
Also, prior posts have said that you would be better served by running the svn download in Cygwin, not in the Windows side.

karthikeya_2015

#3 Unread post by karthikeya_2015 »

Dear Madam,

I am on leave from 3 Dec 2015 to 14 Dec 2015.

Just now I checked my mails.

I tried dos2unix but still it gives like this

---------------------------------
oh@ohm-PC ~/roms/Projects/Upwelling
$ dos2unix build.bash
dos2unix: converting file build.bash to Unix format...

oh@ohm-PC ~/roms/Projects/Upwelling
$ ./build.bash
rm -f -r core *.ipo /home/oh/roms/Projects/Upwelling/Build /home/oh/make_macros.mk
makefile:238: INCLUDING FILE /home/oh/make_macros.mk WHICH CONTAINS APPLICATION-DEPENDENT MAKE DEFINITIONS
make: /opt/gfortransoft/serial/netcdf4/bin/nc-config: Command not found
which: no mpif90 in (/opt/gfortransoft/openmpi/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/cygdrive/c/ProgramData/Oracle/Java/javapath:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/Windows Live:/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/Windows Live:/cygdrive/c/Windows/system32:/cygdrive/c/Windows:/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Intel/WiFi/bin:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Common Files/Intel/WirelessCommon:/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/Windows Live/Shared:/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Roxio Shared/DLLShared:/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Roxio Shared/OEM/DLLShared:/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Roxio Shared/OEM/DLLShared:/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Roxio Shared/OEM/12.0/DLLShared:/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/Roxio/OEM/AudioCore:/cygdrive/c/MSDEV/BIN:/usr/bin:/cygdrive/c/programs/gmt5/bin:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft Windows Performance Toolkit:/usr/lib/lapack)
/bin/sh: --: invalid option
Usage: /bin/sh [GNU long option] [option] ...
/bin/sh [GNU long option] [option] script-file ...
GNU long options:
--debug
--debugger
--dump-po-strings
--dump-strings
--help
--init-file
--login
--noediting
--noprofile
--norc
--posix
--protected
--rcfile
--restricted
--verbose
--version
--wordexp
Shell options:
-ilrsD or -c command or -O shopt_option (invocation only)
-abefhkmnptuvxBCHP or -o option
cp -f /opt/gfortransoft/serial/netcdf4/include/netcdf.mod /home/oh/roms/Projects/Upwelling/Build
cp: cannot stat ‘/opt/gfortransoft/serial/netcdf4/include/netcdf.mod’: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target '/home/oh/roms/Projects/Upwelling/Build/netcdf.mod', needed by '/home/oh/roms/Projects/Upwelling/Build/MakeDepend'. Stop.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please show me the path to run the model without errors.

have a nice day

With regards
Krish

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

You have at least two problems here. First:
make: /opt/gfortransoft/serial/netcdf4/bin/nc-config: Command not found
Have you installed modern netcdf and netcdf-fortran libraries? They come with the nc-config executable. Perhaps you have it in a different location?

Second:
which: no mpif90 in (/opt/gfortransoft/openmpi/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/cygdrive/c/ProgramData/Oracle/Java/javapath:/cygdrive/c/Program
That first directory in your path looks like a good place for mpif90, yet you don't have it. You need to investigate more - do you have that directory? What's in it? Do you have a working gfortran? (which would get called by mpif90.)

m.hadfield

#5 Unread post by m.hadfield »

You should try (and you should be able to) install all the software components you need as Cygwin packages. This includes svn, gfortran, openmpi, netcdf and the miscellanous development tools: make, perl, etc. There are various things that suggest you haven't done this...

If you used Cygwin svn to check out ROMS, then you shouldn't need to post-process with dos2unix.

Why is nc-config in /opt/gfortransoft/serial/netcdf4/bin/? On my system it's in /usr/bin. And mpif90 should be there also, provided you have installed all the necessary packages.

That said, there are quite a few packages to install, including various "devel" packages and libraries.

Can one of the ROMS gurus comment: is there a list of all the Cygwin packages needed to build and run ROMS anywhere? If not I guess I will have to produce one.