why are current results wrong?

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

Hanq

why are current results wrong?

#1 Unread post by Hanq »

Dears,
I model the East China Sea,using monthly data as wind,surface heat flux,surface water flux, solar shortwave radiation and so on. But the current is wrong ,there is no Kuroshio at all.
Please give me some ideas.
Thanks very much.

kate

Re: why are current results wrong?

#2 Unread post by kate »

There's more than one way to get this wrong. We need to know more details about what you did to begin to guess. It could be horizontal resolution, domain choice, boundary conditions, etc.

Hanq

Re: why are current results wrong?

#3 Unread post by Hanq »

kate wrote:There's more than one way to get this wrong. We need to know more details about what you did to begin to guess. It could be horizontal resolution, domain choice, boundary conditions, etc.
Thanks very much, Kate. I will give the details.

The Nest2 model domain is 15°N-43°N,105°E-131°E, with horizontal resolution as 1/12°*1/12°(334*312,~8km).And it is divided into 26 s coordinate levels in the vertical. The minimum water depth is set to 5m.

In order to give the boundary conditions, we tried another bigger domain Nest1 focusing on the North Pacific which was 40°S-67°N,98°E-70°W with horizontal resolution as 1/4°*1/4°(768*428,~27km). There were also 26 layers in the vertical. The minimum water depth was set to 10m. In this model, we used climatology monthly temperature and salinity in January for initial input. The model was also forced by climatology monthly wind, surface heat flux, surface water flux, solar shortwave radiation, etc. The boundary was set to wall. It was integrated for 24 years with an annual cycle of 360 days. Although the velocity of the west boundary current was a little big, but I thought I can try to use it for the Nest2 firstly to study using ROMS. But the results were bad.

Right now I also used SODA to give Nest2 boundary conditions. Unfortunately the results were similar to using the Nest1 for open boundary conditions. The circulation was wrong too.

That is the details of the model. Thanks very much for any reply in advance!