start

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

redhat007

start

#1 Unread post by redhat007 »

dear all
please guide me how i can start model running not from the bigenning but from last time step in restart file.
cheers
redhat

kate

Re: start

#2 Unread post by kate »

Things to change in ocean.in:

* NTIMES for more steps
* NRREC to -1
* LDEFHIS perhaps
* ININAME to point to restart file

redhat007

#3 Unread post by redhat007 »

Dear kate
Dear kate
thanks for your reply. NTIMES was equal to 349440 in crashed model. Base on your answer i have set :
*NTIMES to rest steps (100680) of primary model
*NRREC to -1
*ININAME to point to restart file
to continue model running. but model stopped. after refreshing NTIMES to its primary value (349440), model is running from last step in restart file.
Do you mean that :?: Also i did not catch what LDEFHIS is ?
Best
redhat

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

You didn't say the first job crashed. Did it save to the third record in the restart file? You probably don't want to restart from that record. Or did it crash simply because it ran out of cpu time?

LDEFHIS is a flag for defining new history, etc. files on restart. You might want to set it to false to keep writing to the old files. If your frequency of writing to files is the same as the frequency of changing to write to a new file then LDEFHIS doesn't matter.

redhat007

#5 Unread post by redhat007 »

Dear Kate
thanks again. model crashed simply (software problem) and saved last second records in the restart file.
Also i think that your mean from LDEFHIS is LDEFOUT :!: because i have just found this flag that have same meaning to create new output files when initializing from a re-start file. is not it?
sincerely yours
redhat

kate

#6 Unread post by kate »

Yes, it is LDEFOUT, sorry. It controls many files. I have hacked my code sometimes to get one thing for stations, another thing for floats.

redhat007

#7 Unread post by redhat007 »

ok. many thanks