compiling problem upwelling by the newest ROMS

Report or discuss software problems and other woes

Moderators: arango, robertson

cathyyangfeng

compiling problem upwelling by the newest ROMS

#1 Unread post by cathyyangfeng »

I downloaded the newest version of ROMS (svn: $LastChangedRevision: 570 $) two days ago for my new project. I met the compiling problem at the very beginning when I tried to run the upwelling as a test. Looking for some helps for this problem.

After I gave the right fortran compiler "pgi" and the right netcdf directory for my super computer, I compiled the code first by makefile and then by build.bash. Both of them were back the information:

-------------------------------------------
rm -f -r core *.ipo /XXX/Build /XXX/make_macros.mk
makefile:239: INCLUDING FILE /XXX/make_macros.mk WHICH CONTAINS APPLICATION-DEPENDENT MAKE DEFINITIONS
cp -f /XXX/include /netcdf.mod /XXX/Build
cp: omitting directory `/XXX/include'
cp: cannot stat `/netcdf.mod': No such file or directory
make: *** [/XXX/netcdf.mod] Error 1
-------------------------------------------

It seems the program tried looking for the "netcdf.mod" from the root directory. No files was copied to ./Build directory. I do not know how that happened. I also tried to change the directory for netcdf.mod in makefile (which I didn't do when I use previous version of ROMS):
---------------------------------
NETCDF_MODFILE := /XXX/netcdf.mod
TYPESIZES_MODFILE := /XXX/typesizes.mod
------------------------------

It's back the information:
-----------------------
makefile:239: INCLUDING FILE /XXX/make_macros.mk WHICH CONTAINS APPLICATION-DEPENDENT MAKE DEFINITIONS
cp -f /XXX/include //XXX/netcdf.mod Build
cp: omitting directory `/XXX/include'
make: *** [Build//usr/vimssw/pgi-7.0-linux86/netcdf/3.6.2/include/netcdf.mod] Error 1
----------------------

I could find the netcdf.mod at the ./Build directory this time, but still, the file is not compiled.

I am sure I have loaded the pgf90 and netcdf module to my own directory.

Thank you so much for any kind of help.

linzhenhua
Location: Institute of Oceanology,Chinese Academy of Sciences

Re: compiling problem upwelling by the newest ROMS

#2 Unread post by linzhenhua »

For your first question. It is easy to clarify, because there is a space in your setting between "/XXX/include" and "/netcdf.mod".

As to the second, I think the information provided is not enough to diagnose. Maybe your problem will be solved if you delete the Build direction and try to rebuild the model.

cathyyangfeng

#3 Unread post by cathyyangfeng »

No, this is not the case. I doubted about the problem either at the very beginning. So I double checked if there was a space after the include. Also, after I changed the netcdf directory, I clean the build file and make_marcos.mk. It produce a new build directory with netcdf.mod there.

I doubted ROMS570 had some problems inside. I tried ROMS366 (previous version). It works with the same netcdf and fortran compiler setup.

But, still thanks a lot for the reply. Do you have any other idea on how to test this? and anybody else can help?

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

I just fetched the latest trunk code and managed to compile without trouble. What version of netcdf do you have? I have version 4 and let it find netcdf via the nc-config command.

cathyyangfeng

#5 Unread post by cathyyangfeng »

I use netcdf 3.6.2. Do I have to use netcdf 4 for the new version? I use netcdf 3.6.2 for the 2011-01-05 version of ROMS. It still worked

kate

#6 Unread post by kate »

No, you don't have to use the new version, but the new version comes with the nifty nc-config for magically finding the netcdf.inc file. Since you are having problems in that area, it might be something to consider.

Alternately, you could compare the old and new makefile and Compilers files to see which change broke it for you.

cathyyangfeng

#7 Unread post by cathyyangfeng »

Dear Kate:

Great thanks for the help. I copied the 2011-01-05 version ROMS Linux-pgi.mk to the Compilers Folder. The file can be compiled by the new makefile now.

Two more little changes here:

(1) the makefile line516: cp -p $(MAKE_MACROS) $(SCRATCH_DIR)
It's not worked with -p option, when changed to -f option, it worked.

(2) it produce a warning at last
make: warning: Clock skew detected. Your build may be incomplete.

Thank you so much!