zeta output all zeros

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

Zhang.Shuang

zeta output all zeros

#1 Unread post by Zhang.Shuang »

Dear ROMS users,

I'm using the upwelling test case in a 4-wall basin with wind forcing but no tides. There are some adjustment I made according to my problem, like the 4-wall boundaries. I expect there are variations in free surface during the run but I got zeros for zeta all through the time. I had no clue which setup in my model could cause this. I have the cpp options file attached here. Could anyone help me with this?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Shuang
Attachments
upwelling.h
(2 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
ocean_upwelling.in
(64.7 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
ana_grid.h
(33.74 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
ana_smflux.h
(13.58 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Last edited by Zhang.Shuang on Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

linzhenhua
Location: Institute of Oceanology,Chinese Academy of Sciences

Re: zeta output all zeros

#2 Unread post by linzhenhua »

I do not know whether the files you uploaded are exactly the files you are using for the numerical simulation.

In your ocean_upwelling_2.in file, you set your project name UPWELLING, so it will try to use upwelling.h, not upwelling_2.h. I'm not sure whether this is the reason for the problem.

Zhang.Shuang

#3 Unread post by Zhang.Shuang »

linzhenhua wrote:I do not know whether the files you uploaded are exactly the files you are using for the numerical simulation.

In your ocean_upwelling_2.in file, you set your project name UPWELLING, so it will try to use upwelling.h, not upwelling_2.h. I'm not sure whether this is the reason for the problem.
Thank you for your reply. Yes, these files are exactly the files I used in the run. I changed their names to distinguish them from the original upwelling files in my computer. It maybe a bit confusing so I changed their names in my original post.

linzhenhua
Location: Institute of Oceanology,Chinese Academy of Sciences

#4 Unread post by linzhenhua »

Hi

Just have a close look at your set up. Please notice the definition of NDTFAST:
! NDTFAST Number of barotropic time-steps between each baroclinic time
! step.

So it should be an integer. In your configuration file you set it to 0.5, this is not right. I change it to 5, and it works.

Also notice that in your case ,the largest surface momentum flux is -1.309592837245419E-005, which is too small for a test case in my opinion, though this has nothing to do with your zero surface elevation error.