Alteration of upwelling case in real problem

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

Zhang.Shuang

Alteration of upwelling case in real problem

#1 Unread post by Zhang.Shuang »

I'm trying to adjust the upwelling test for the realistic case in my project. But I couldn't get the model run unless for the first timestep. Would you please give me some advice? Thanks a lot!

As far as I can reach, I changed the following things and still have some questions:

1. The upwelling case is a eastern-western periodical channel, but I want a northern-southern channel (about 3km * 80km) with walls on the western,eastern and southern sides. So I altered the parameters (Lm, Mm) in ocean_upwelling.in. And in the ANA-GRID I altered the XSize, ESize, f0 and bathymetry. But I'm not sure how to set CPP in upwelling.in. Should I set walls on three directions and leave the northern boundary as open boundary? Or use the northern-southern periodical boundary?

2. We want along-channel wind from south to north. So I need to change ANA-SMFUX to set up new wind. I turned off the wind component in XI-direction and turned on the same wind in ETA-direction. But it doesn't seem to work since I got sustr in ocean_his.nc of only 0.

3. Maybe I also need to change ANA-INITIAL. But I don't quite understand what the equations mean or how it sets the IC of T and S.

The attached is my altered upwelling.in, ocean_upwelling.in, ana_sflux.h and ana_grid.h, if this makes it easier.

Thank you so much!
Attachments
ana_smflux.h
ana_smflux.h
(14.01 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
ocean_upwelling.in
ocean_upwelling.in
(64.68 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
upwelling.h
upwelling.in
(1.77 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
ana_grid.h
ana_grid.h
(34.72 KiB) Downloaded 210 times

kate

Re: Alteration of upwelling case in real problem

#2 Unread post by kate »

Zhang.Shuang wrote:I'm trying to adjust the upwelling test for the realistic case in my project. But I couldn't get the model run unless for the first timestep. Would you please give me some advice? Thanks a lot!
Doesn't run how?
1. The upwelling case is a eastern-western periodical channel, but I want a northern-southern channel (about 3km * 80km) with walls on the western,eastern and southern sides. So I altered the parameters (Lm, Mm) in ocean_upwelling.in. And in the ANA-GRID I altered the XSize, ESize, f0 and bathymetry. But I'm not sure how to set CPP in upwelling.in. Should I set walls on three directions and leave the northern boundary as open boundary? Or use the northern-southern periodical boundary?
Turn off both PERIODIC options and turn on the three walls. Now you need to decide how to handle the fourth side. What are you hoping to model? Periodic channels or basins with four walls are much easier than open boundaries.
2. We want along-channel wind from south to north. So I need to change ANA-SMFUX to set up new wind. I turned off the wind component in XI-direction and turned on the same wind in ETA-direction. But it doesn't seem to work since I got sustr in ocean_his.nc of only 0.
sustr is the wind stress in the XI-direction, which you said you wanted to be zero. How is your svstr looking?
3. Maybe I also need to change ANA-INITIAL. But I don't quite understand what the equations mean or how it sets the IC of T and S.
The code in ana_initial for UPWELLING is:

Code: Select all

t(i,j,k,1,itemp)=T0(ng)+8.0_r8*EXP(z_r(i,j,k)/50.0_r8)
          t(i,j,k,1,isalt)=S0(ng)
z_r(i,j,k) is the depth of the (i,j,k) point, so you've got an exponential here. Salinity is uniform throughout the domain.