thumb rule for hc

Report or discuss software problems and other woes

Moderators: arango, robertson

rao_sc

thumb rule for hc

#1 Unread post by rao_sc »

Hi all,

In Roms_tools, there is some right hand thumb rule for giving hc value, i.e, for 0.25° resolution 150m should be the hc value. This means the areas having depths less than 150m will be taken as 150m depth areas. I got this understanding from that file. But is this right procedure? Can the same thing be done as when making grid file,data within the 150m contour masked as land. Which one is correct? If we do any of the above it will give some artificiality in the model. So, how can I create a grid without this thumb rule?

With regards,
G N Rao.

kate

Re: thumb rule for hc

#2 Unread post by kate »

This is the first I've heard of these rules. We're always pushing the bounds to see what we can get away with. My current run has minimum h of 10 m, resolution of 11 km, maximum "r-value" of 0.4, and N=60. It runs, but with a shorter timestep then I ever imagined we'd need.

rao_sc

Re: thumb rule for hc

#3 Unread post by rao_sc »

thanks for reply
I had downloaded Roms_tools from http://roms.mpl.ird.fr/ and I had used this tool box for creating grid file. In that they clearly mentioned that for .25deg resolution, the minimum depth at the coast should be 150m. If we havent follow that also, automatically it will create grid file with, all depths less than 150m as 150m.
Any other option for creation of grid file.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
GNRao