Memory issue in ROMS/SWAN coupling application

Report or discuss software problems and other woes

Moderators: arango, robertson

ljzhong

Memory issue in ROMS/SWAN coupling application

#1 Unread post by ljzhong »

In my ROMS/SWAN coupling application, there are quite a few times that the running model was terminated because the model requested more memory than that was assigned in the beginning.

More specifically, my application has a grid size 240x480x8. It ran on 8 CPUs. 2 CPUs were assigned for SWAN and the rest 6 for ROMS. Initially I requested 2GB memory for each CPU. The model ran but stopped at about 40 hours after the initialization. The reason is the model now needs more than 2GB memory for each node. Next time I assigned 4GB memory for each node and then restarted the model. The model stopped again at 66 hours for the same reason.

Did it happen to anyone else? Why does the memory keep on going up and when is it going to stop? How to fix the problem?

jcwarner

Re: Memory issue in ROMS/SWAN coupling application

#2 Unread post by jcwarner »

i am not sure of the details of your application. i do not know why it would need more memory. The arrays are allocated at init, and then utilized during the show. How are you assinging memory to each node ? (i am on my way to sea, and will be in/out email for about 1 week.)
Things to look for - how big are the swan *.mat or *.dat files getting? Are you requesting a lot of swan output? What exactly is the error you are getting?