NCL Installation Problem

Discussion on computers, ROMS installation and compiling

Moderators: arango, robertson

aliayamahdi

NCL Installation Problem

#1 Unread post by aliayamahdi »

Hello everyone,

After running the ROMS, I tried to visual the output files, so I tried to install ncl. When I'm following the instruction in the "Installing and running NCL under Cygwin/X (Windows)" which is available in the website "http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/cygwin.shtml", the following error appears :

$ ncl -V
/usr/local/bin/ncl.exe: error while loading shared libraries: cygcurl-4.dll: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

Note : The name of ncl file that I dowloaded is "ncl_ncarg-5.2.1.CYGWIN_NT-5.1_i686"

Could you please help me to overcome this error?

Thanks

mabouali

Re: NCL Installation Problem

#2 Unread post by mabouali »

Try to locate the missing DLL file. If you can not find it, well, check your installation. If you already have it, check your PATHs and make sure that it is accessible.

P.S.
It doesn't hurt if you have a copy of that dll in the current folder that you are running and also under the Windows/SYSTEM and SYSTEM32

aliayamahdi

#3 Unread post by aliayamahdi »

Hello,

Along the previous time, I tried to install cygwin in such away that it can deal with what ROMS needs and what NCL needs of packages, but when I tried to compile ROMS, the following error appears :
/cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local/lib/libnetcdf.a(liboc_la-curlfunctions.o): In function `set_verify':
/cygdrive/c/cygwin/software/netcdf-4.1.1/libncdap3/oc/curlfunctions.c:103: undefined reference to `curl_easy_setopt'
/cygdrive/c/cygwin/software/netcdf-4.1.1/libncdap3/oc/curlfunctions.c:106: undefined reference to `curl_easy_setopt'
/cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local/lib/libnetcdf.a(liboc_la-curlfunctions.o): In function `set_cookies':
/cygdrive/c/cygwin/software/netcdf-4.1.1/libncdap3/oc/curlfunctions.c:88: undefined reference to `curl_easy_setopt'
/cygdrive/c/cygwin/software/netcdf-4.1.1/libncdap3/oc/curlfunctions.c:92: undefined reference to `curl_easy_setopt'
/cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local/lib/libnetcdf.a(liboc_la-curlfunctions.o): In function `set_proxy':
/cygdrive/c/cygwin/software/netcdf-4.1.1/libncdap3/oc/curlfunctions.c:49: undefined reference to `curl_easy_setopt'
/cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local/lib/libnetcdf.a(liboc_la-curlfunctions.o):/cygdrive/c/cygwin/software/netcdf-4.1.1/libncdap3/oc/curlfunctions.c:53: more undefined references to `curl_easy_setopt' follow
make: *** [/cygdrive/c/roms/Projects/Upwelling/oceanS.exe] Error 1

But at the same time, I could be able to install ncl. When I tried to make compilation in order to generate ccnt, cnt,csec and sec executables, this error appears :

$ make
/cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local/bin/g95 -O3 -ffast-math \
cnt.o cpmpxy2d.o mapeod.o stumsl.o stumxy.o vvumxy.o -o /cygdrive/c/roms/plot/MYPLOTS/cnt \
libUTIL.a -L/cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local/lib -lncarg -lncarg_gks -lncarg_c -L/usr/X11R6/lib64 -lX11 -L/usr/g95soft/s_netcdf4/lib -lnetcdf -L/usr/g95soft/s_hdf5/lib -lhdf5_hl -lhdf5 -lz
/bin///ld: cannot find -lhdf5_hl
/bin///ld: cannot find -lhdf5
make: *** [/cygdrive/c/roms/plot/MYPLOTS/cnt] Error 1

Could you please help me to overcome these errors?

Note : I was able to compile ROMS (got oceanS) by cygwin packages indicated in the "Tutorial: Installing ROMS in Windows XP / Vista (via Cygwin)" but this version of cygwin could not be able to install ncl.

Thanks

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

ROMS needs to link to the curl library. You tell it to look for it in the build script or makefile by setting "USE_DAP = on".

For the NCL problem, you need to obtain the HDF5 library, then make sure the plotting programs know where to look for it.

m.hadfield

#5 Unread post by m.hadfield »

kate wrote:ROMS needs to link to the curl library. You tell it to look for it in the build script or makefile by setting "USE_DAP = on".
This sort of thing would be much easier if ROMS were to use the output of the nc-config command. Eg in my make files I have

Code: Select all

ifdef USE_NETCDF4
        NC_CONFIG ?= nc-config
    NETCDF_INCDIR ?= $(shell $(NC_CONFIG) --prefix)/include
             LIBS := $(shell $(NC_CONFIG) --flibs)
else
    NETCDF_INCDIR ?= /usr/local/include
    NETCDF_LIBDIR ?= /usr/local/lib
             LIBS := -L$(NETCDF_LIBDIR) -lnetcdf
endif
The nc-config script was introduced in netCDF 4.0.1, but it's not that hard to add one to any previous version.

kate

#6 Unread post by kate »

I like it and I assume not many are running netCDF 4.0.0 at this point. Either you are conservative and stick with the 3.x series or you keep on top of things and are running 4.1.1. Not many people trust those x.0.0 versions of anything!