long period boundary forcing

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

mikeforeman

long period boundary forcing

#1 Unread post by mikeforeman »

I would like to include long period (constant) barotropic boundary forcing that arises from dynamics like alongshore pressure gradients and estuarine elevations that are in addition to the dynamic heights associated with baroclinic pressure gradients. I have tried to do this by including a long period (10 year) tidal constituent but the height differences seem to be overcome by shorter period nudging to climatology at the boundaries. Perhaps I might also try doing it through artificial atmospheric pressures along the lines described in the "applying atm. pressure as a body force" discussion.

All suggestions are welcome.

wilkin

#2 Unread post by wilkin »

Mike,

The cpp options #define ADD_FSOBC and #define ADD_M2OBC will add slowly varying free surface and depth-average velocity to the open boundary values applied by the Chapman and Flather conditions. The slowly varying values used can be provided in analytical.F if you #define ANA_FSOBC and #define ANA_M2OBC, but the default is to read the data from the open boundary conditions netcdf file. This is how I did it in the CBLAST model, where I took slowly varying SSH and Ubar from the Naimie et al bi-monthly climatology for the Gulf of Maine. The processing of the open boundary conditions netcdf file by get_data and set_data takes care of linear interpolation between the time records in your boundary values, so if you already have the data you wish to apply on the perimeter, all you need to do is create the boundary nc file and you can run.

If you'd like some rough matlab scripts (caveat emptor!) to interpolate a 3D climatology like Naimie's to roms bndy files let me know and I'll send them along.

John.
John Wilkin: DMCS Rutgers University
71 Dudley Rd, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8521, USA. ph: 609-630-0559 jwilkin@rutgers.edu