Grid orientation with ROMSTOOLS

Discussion about analysis, visualization, and collaboration tools and techniques

Moderators: arango, robertson

jul10lara

Grid orientation with ROMSTOOLS

#1 Unread post by jul10lara »

Hi all!

Using ROMSTOOLS, I'm doing a simulation in a region where the coastline has an angle of about 45° to the north-south axis.

By default, ROMSTOOLS generates grids in a square domain with sides parallel and perpendicular (90º) to the north-south axis (correspondingly).

But I want to make a grid parallel to the coastline axis, not to the north-south axis; this means I need to rotate the grid in order to fix it according to coastline.

In the uploaded picture there is the default grid and domain; the green rectangle represents the orientation of the grid and domain I would like to have.

¿Can you help me to change the grid orientation, please?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Julio Lara
Attachments
In the uploaded picture there is the default grid and domain; the green rectangle represents the orientation of the grid and domain I would like to have.
Domain.JPG (11.02 KiB) Viewed 3342 times

nmolem

Re: Grid orientation with ROMSTOOLS

#2 Unread post by nmolem »

Something like this? This is obtained using a rotated Mercator projection. As a result the grid has the smallest possible ratio between maximum and minimum grid spacing (1.012 for this example).
rotated_mercator.jpg

jul10lara

#3 Unread post by jul10lara »

Exactly nmolem!

I would like my grid and domain look like the picture you uploaded.
But how can I do that; which part of the code do I have to modify?
I'm newbie using romstools, could you guide me, please?

Best regards

Julio Lara

nmolem

#4 Unread post by nmolem »

Julio,

I don't think that romstools can do this. Send me a mail and I'll help you out.

Jeroen Molemaker

nmolem@atmos.ucla.edu