Objective Analysis

Discussion about analysis, visualization, and collaboration tools and techniques

Moderators: arango, robertson

aneeshcs

Objective Analysis

#1 Unread post by aneeshcs »

Dear All,

I have been trying to generate an OA NetCDF file of Topex/Poseidon SSH data using the oa package given on the ROMS site. But I haven't figured out how to go about it. I have prepared the Topex data in hdat format to feed as input into the oa executable. The oa executable runs reading the input file. It generates an output nc file too, with the correct number of grid point data and reads the correct number of station data too from the input, but echoes a message "XHYDRO - all obsevations are flagged out". The output nc file also has undefined values at the grid pouints. I have checked the Ascii hdat file, which has values of SSH. But I have defined the type as CTD as there was no other option which would accept SSH as an input variable. I would be grateful if someone could throw light on how I must proceed to generate a OA nc file of Topex Data.

The types of input in the OA package are CTD, XBT, XBTS, XCTD and FRC. None of them seem to be suitable to define the Topex data. The package seems to calculate dynamic height from the temperature and salinity variables defined in CTD or XBT stations. How do I directly input ssh data into the oa executable?

Thanks
Aneesh

RubenDiez-Lazaro

#2 Unread post by RubenDiez-Lazaro »

I'm getting some problems with the OA package...

I'm geting data from the WOA and COADS, and the HDAT files i generate seems to be OK....

But the data that OA calculates is too " homogeneous"...

The values of each variable (temp, salt, ...) are cuasi-equal for all points of the grid . The values itself are not estrange (for example, about 11 ºC for temperature) bud it have very similar value for all points....

With the ncview utility it appear in an homogeneous color, sometimes with estrange concentric rings or circular spots....

Have anyone idea about what is broken???

There are another way to make an objective analysis from the WOA and COADS data???

I'm using the OA package in order to get data for use with the "initial" and "forcing" packages...

best regards

mashinde
Location: Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology, Pune, INDIA

Re: Objective Analysis

#3 Unread post by mashinde »

Dear RubenDiez-Lazaro,

I have questions about OA package.

I downloaded OA pkg from ROMS website. I have global levitus data in hdat format.
Now i want to process OA package and create nc files to my application grid.

Do you know how to process this OA pkg, to create monthly and annual clim files that are used for making roms clim,ini,forcing files.

Thanks in advance

Mahesh