Appropriate atmoph forcing for tropical simulation with ROMS

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

fakoi

Appropriate atmoph forcing for tropical simulation with ROMS

#1 Unread post by fakoi »

Dear all,

I´m running ROMS for west North Pacific using ECCO data for initial and boundary conditions and GFS (Global Forecast System) winds (every 6 hours) for atmospheric forcing for tropical cyclone simulation.

However, high Resolution GFS (0.5 degree, 6 hours) were avaliable only recent days (1 week).

1. Could someone recommend me a possible atmospheric forcing that are suitable for tropical cyclone simulation (with higher temporal and spatial resolution)?

I found a possible product which is NCEP/QSCAT blend wind (0.5degree, 6 hours) provided by (http://dss.ucar.edu/datasets/ds744.4/data/). However, the product includes only wind forcing rather all parameters which were required by bulk parameterization for heat flux estimation.

2.Is that possible to force ROMS with only wind forcing without considering the heat_flux term? And if possible, how can i do it?

Thanks!

best regards,

fakoi
NTOU - Taiwan

fakoi

Re: Appropriate atmoph forcing for tropical simulation with ROMS

#2 Unread post by fakoi »

Could anyone give me some suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

kate

#3 Unread post by kate »

Your winds can have a higher spatial and temporal resolution than the temperatures. Maybe if you tell us your specific time and space of interest someone will know of a product that you can use. There are also several global reanalysis products that span decades, but don't necessarily have the last year or two: NCEP, ERA-40, and CORE are ones I've heard of. They tend to be rather coarse in spatial resolution, though those storms are quite huge, so maybe that's not an issue for your needs.

fakoi

#4 Unread post by fakoi »

Dear kate,

Thank you for your reply.

I´m running ROMS for a typhoon case taken place in the west North Pacific during 2005 summer.
I think you are right. Those storms are quite huge, atmospheric forcing derived from NCEP or ECMWF maybe suitable. I will try it.

Btw, could you please tell me that may i force ROMS with only wind forcing without considering the heat_flux term? And how can i do it?

Thank you so much!

best regards,

fakoi

kate

#5 Unread post by kate »

ROMS doesn't natively handle the case you mention. If you go with something like ECMWF or NCEP, why not include the heat flux terms too?

If you truly want zero heat flux, let ROMS compute everything, then you can zero out the heat flux afterwards. Or if your goal is to provide winds but not air temp, etc. then you will need to come up with some alternative to BULK_FLUXES that computes stress from winds only. Do a big search on BULK_FLUXES in ROMS to see how that switch affects the I/O, etc.

fakoi

#6 Unread post by fakoi »

Dear kate,

Thank you for your suggestions. It's quite helpful.
According to your suggestions, i will try to force ROMS with NCEP bulk parameters and higher spatial resolution wind forcing. If it works, i will get back to you as soon.
Thank you so much!

best regards,

fakoi