Issues with Waves

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

bhayward

Issues with Waves

#1 Unread post by bhayward »

Hello all,

I'm working on a smaller scale model (dx ~40m) with wind forcing, and am running into issues with waves in the domain. I've tried using a couple of different boundary conditions, but I'm not noticing changes from them. I'm using harmonic mixing, and am using a tnu2 = 0.32 m2 / s , and visc2 = 3.2 m2 / s. I haven't played with the ratios of these numbers, but have varied them.

The grid is 250x245 grid cells, with 40 levels, and a flat bathymetry of 169 m. I also have a sponge layer starting at visc_factor = 10 at the boundaries, and decreasing 1 per grid cell moving inward until it gets to 1. I'm using a baroclinic time step of 2 seconds, with ndtfast = 15

I'm using the doppio history data for forcing and initial conditions. These are both from January 16, 2020

This a cross section of the upward velocities (in m/s) after 40 minutes of simulated time. The vertical axis is just the percent of depth. The slice is taken near the center of the xi axis.

waveIssues.png
waveIssues.png (58.51 KiB) Viewed 182 times

I think the biggest issue is probably with viscosity or diffusivity, but I also don't want to increase it unreasonably, and I don't have a good sense for that. Using the guidance in https://www.myroms.org/wiki/Horizontal_ ... ent_Values , I got a range between 0.16 and 5.7 for nlvisc2, and it sounds like diffusion constants should be between that and 0, with 1/10th being a standard.
Attachments
roms_anaowf.in
(164.28 KiB) Not downloaded yet
roms2022833.log
(378.85 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

bhayward

Re: Issues with Waves

#2 Unread post by bhayward »

So, I'm not completely sure which one it was, but I changed my turbulent parameters from the ones that Doppio uses to the parameters used in the Wind Basin test case, and I also set Lnodal to true. This did get rid of the issues I was having.

I'll keep updating here as I learn more, but this is quite a relief.