Disabling Wind Force in Model's Forcing File

Report or discuss software problems and other woes

Moderators: arango, robertson

hyc006

Disabling Wind Force in Model's Forcing File

#1 Unread post by hyc006 »

Hello everyone,

I'm a new user on this platform and currently in the process of building my own model based on the upwelling testing case. However, I've encountered an issue that I'm seeking assistance with.

Specifically, I want to disable the westward wind force in my model's forcing file. I believe this requires modification of either the .h or .in file, but as a newcomer to this environment, I'm unsure of the exact steps to take.

Could someone please provide guidance on how to achieve this? Any advice, tips, or references to relevant documentation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

wilkin

Re: Disabling Wind Force in Model's Forcing File

#2 Unread post by wilkin »

If you are using analytical wind stresses, like in the UPWELLING test case, those are set in Functionals/ana_smflux.F (for surface momentum flux).

Open Functionals/ana_smflux.F and search for UPWELLING. You will see that sustr = 0 and svstr ramps up over 2 days as a SINE function. You can modify this code to change the winds in UPWELLING, or create your own special case in ana_smflux.h.

If you want to modify any Functionals, we recommend you copy them to the Project directory where you compile ROMS. Then the build_roms.sh script will use that copy instead of the "trunk" code and you can leave the downloaded code untouched.
John Wilkin: DMCS Rutgers University
71 Dudley Rd, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8521, USA. ph: 609-630-0559 jwilkin@rutgers.edu

hyc006

Re: Disabling Wind Force in Model's Forcing File

#3 Unread post by hyc006 »

I truly appreciate the time and effort you took to assist me with my query. Your solution worked perfectly for me, and I was able to manage the force now. Thank you!