How add ice

Discussion about modeling ice with ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

javadi

How add ice

#1 Unread post by javadi »

Dear users
I try to run ROMS in my domain. I run ROMS with rivers, fluxes, and also the initial conditions in the upwelling test case. Now I try to add ice into the model but I do not understand how to do it although I review this forum. In this case, I have some questions. Firstly, ROMS have this option or we should compile it with another model? Secondly, how to add or download the source code as I do not see anything about ice in my ROMS trunk. Thirdly, the ice model needs extra fluxes or can work with a forcing file.
Please note that in my domain the thickness of ice is under 60 cm and water depth is about under 20 m from December to February

Thank you so much for your cooperation

kate

Re: How add ice

#2 Unread post by kate »

There is no ice in the ROMS trunk code. There is ice in my code on github, also in COAWST from John Warner. There is also ice in the metroms code on github, where they couple to a more complete ice model (CICE).

As for forcing, if you are reading winds, air temp, etc. and using BULK_FLUXES, you are set for the ice. The ice wants to compute its own bulk fluxes where there is ice.

javadi

#3 Unread post by javadi »

Dear kate
Thank you for your response
How can I add your branch in my Roms through svn ? Then How can I add the files in my test case?i I am a little confused.
Please explain more about it

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

My code is at: https://github.com/kshedstrom/roms. I'm not now finding an svn option, but you can download a tarball of it from that site. It has been over ten years since I've used svn...

javadi

#5 Unread post by javadi »

You mean I should copy and paste it from the site(!). is it correct as we install roms from command on the terminal? I have downloaded but there are many files one of them is Sea ice. How to use it?

kate

#6 Unread post by kate »

You should read the manual. It has sections on the ice and also on how to use git.

javadi

#7 Unread post by javadi »

Dear kate

I have run without any problem ROMS with the trunk. Based on your suggestion, I have installed your branch in my system BUT I have faced this error when compiling the model.

svn: E155007: '/home/jav/kate/roms' is not a working copy
svn: E155007: '/home/jav/kate/roms' is not a working copy
/usr/bin/ld: mod_netcdf.f90:(.text+0x15e45): undefined reference to `__netcdf_MOD_nf90_inquire_attribute'
/usr/bin/ld: mod_netcdf.f90:(.text+0x15eb2): undefined reference to `__netcdf_MOD_nf90_inq_attname'
/usr/bin/ld: mod_netcdf.f90:(.text+0x1609c): undefined reference to `__netcdf_MOD_nf90_inquire_variable'
/usr/bin/ld: mod_netcdf.f90:(.text+0x16179): undefined reference to `__netcdf_MOD_nf90_inq_attname'
/usr/bin/ld: mod_netcdf.f90:(.text+0x163f3): undefined reference to `__netcdf_MOD_nf90_strerror'
/usr/bin/ld: mod_netcdf.f90:(.text+0x16528): undefined reference to `__netcdf_MOD_nf90_inquire_dimension'
/usr/bin/ld: mod_netcdf.f90:(.text+0x1667e): undefined reference to `__netcdf_MOD_nf90_strerror'
/usr/bin/ld: mod_netcdf.f90:(.text+0x16763): undefined reference to `__netcdf_MOD_nf90_inq_attname'
/usr/bin/ld: mod_netcdf.f90:(.text+0x167c0): undefined reference to `__netcdf_MOD_nf90_inquire_attribute'
/usr/bin/ld: mod_netcdf.f90:(.text+0x16856): undefined reference to `__netcdf_MOD_nf90_get_att_one_eightbytereal'
/usr/bin/ld: mod_netcdf.f90:(.text+0x169a9): undefined reference to `__netcdf_MOD_nf90_get_att_one_fourbyteint'
/usr/bin/ld: mod_netcdf.f90:(.text+0x16b63): undefined reference to `__netcdf_MOD_nf90_strerror'
/usr/bin/ld: mod_netcdf.f90:(.text+0x16d22): undefined reference to `__netcdf_MOD_nf90_get_att_text'
/usr/bin/ld: /home/javadbabagoli/Testt/Build_roms/libMODS.a(mod_netcdf.o): in function `__mod_netcdf_MOD_netcdf_get_dim':
mod_netcdf.f90:(.text+0x182fd): undefined reference to `__netcdf_MOD_nf90_inquire'
/usr/bin/ld: mod_netcdf.f90:(.text+0x183b0): undefined reference to `__netcdf_MOD_nf90_inquire_dimension'
/usr/bin/ld: mod_netcdf.f90:(.text+0x185f0): undefined reference to `__netcdf_MOD_nf90_strerror'

Joeailvyou

#8 Unread post by Joeailvyou »

javadi wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:39 pm Dear users
I try to run ROMS in my domain. I run ROMS with rivers, fluxes, and also the initial conditions in the upwelling test case. Now I try to add ice into the model but I do not understand how to do it although I review this forum. In this case, I have some questions. Firstly, ROMS have this option or we should compile it with another model? Secondly, how to add or download the source code as I do not see anything about ice in my ROMS trunk. Thirdly, the ice model needs extra fluxes or can work with a forcing file.
Please note that in my domain the thickness of ice is under 60 cm and water depth is about under 20 m from December to February

Thank you so much for your cooperation
Hi, javadi. I am new to ROMS. I have run ROMS for climotology with bulk flux forcing, including wind, air temperature, humidity, etc. Now, I am facing the same problem you faced with 2years ago. Have you run ROMS with ICE ? could you please share you .h and .in file ? I don't know how to compile to include ICE. my email jiaoxiaohuiwork@163.com. We can have more discussion by email. Thank you very much!

kate

#9 Unread post by kate »

My ROMS with ice is no longer being maintained. Hernan was working on a ROMS with ice, haven't heard about it recently.

Your best bet is probably METROMS from the Norwegians.