Open boundary condition set up

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

osean

Open boundary condition set up

#1 Unread post by osean »

Hello

I am trying to figure out how to set up an open boundary condition for a domain I am attempting to create.

It is a channel where N/S walls are closed, E boundary closed/radiation TBC, and W boundary open with a time-invariant flow prescribed, as attached in the figure below:
BC.png
Essentially, I would like to have a channel where a flow keeps coming in. I have set up the grid domain by modifying the ana_*.h files, but from what I heard the way to create the boundary condition on W boundary would be through inputting a .nc file, instead of setting it up through the ana_*.h files.

I wonder where I can find information about setting up and implementing a .nc file, getting stuck on the technical aspect of this. Appreciate any points of direction...

Thanks

kate

Re: Open boundary condition set up

#2 Unread post by kate »

You can do the OBC via the ana_ files too. Check out the ana_m2obc.h for example.

osean

#3 Unread post by osean »

In this case, I am trying to figure out which variables go into m2obc and m3obc. For velocity field, would that be m2obc or m3obc?

Thanks

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

m2 is the barotropic velocity while m3 is the full barotropic plus baroclinic velocity.