multi bry files cannot be included

Report or discuss software problems and other woes

Moderators: arango, robertson

WY0116

multi bry files cannot be included

#1 Unread post by WY0116 »

Dear all,
I recently tried to carry simulation with multi bry files.
I have 5 bry files with high-freq tide forcing, with each file containing 20-day forcing data. It seems that the model can well recognize all the bry files and run for 100 days, as I found in the output file.
However, I found that only the first bry file worked after analyzing the history data. In other words, tide signals was only detected in the first 20 days.
Really appreciate if someone could give some suggestions.
Many thanks!

arango
Site Admin

Re: multi bry files cannot be included

#2 Unread post by arango »

Your question is kind of weird. What do you mean by high-frequency tidal forcing? ROMS has its own tidal forcing file specified in TIDENAME. The tidal forcing file doesn't have a time coordinate but a tide angular period for each constituent. Therefore, a single file is required. This data is derived from tidal models in terms of period, elevation, amplitude, phase, and current ellipses minor and major axis. The nonlinear interaction between constituents is computed by the ROMS kernel.

We never force tides via zeta, ubar, and vbar in the BRYNAME file(s), which do have a time coordinate that can be split into several continuous files. In ROMS, tides are separated from the other dynamical regimes. Check routine set_tides.F and notice how the tidal constituent is added to the BOUNDARY(ng)%???? values if ADD_M2OBC and ADD_FSOBC are activated.

WY0116

Re: multi bry files cannot be included

#3 Unread post by WY0116 »

arango wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:17 pm Your question is kind of weird. What do you mean by high-frequency tidal forcing? ROMS has its own tidal forcing file specified in TIDENAME. The tidal forcing file doesn't have a time coordinate but a tide angular period for each constituent. Therefore, a single file is required. This data is derived from tidal models in terms of period, elevation, amplitude, phase, and current ellipses minor and major axis. The nonlinear interaction between constituents is computed by the ROMS kernel.

We never force tides via zeta, ubar, and vbar in the BRYNAME file(s), which do have a time coordinate that can be split into several continuous files. In ROMS, tides are separated from the other dynamical regimes. Check routine set_tides.F and notice how the tidal constituent is added to the BOUNDARY(ng)%???? values if ADD_M2OBC and ADD_FSOBC are activated.
Dear arango,
Thank you for your kind reply. I set the simulation referring to some previous works which studied the internal tides e.g. Kerry, Powell and Carter., 2013. They gave the tidal forcings by adding time series of u v at the boundaries. The way you mentioned seems much convenient and concise. Do I need to add the tidal forcing as forcing file? Is there some matlab codes that can be referred?
Also I want to figure out why only the first bry file works, i have checked the bry_time in the five files, they are monotonic and continuous.
thanks again!