Boundary Condition Choice

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

soilinkin

Boundary Condition Choice

#1 Unread post by soilinkin »

Hi, I am new here trying to learn ROMS. I have a question regarding the selection of boundary condition, hand hope someone can help.

I have a simplified domain like in the attached pic. I have ocean at east and south which can use open boundary. I have coastline and some river with inflows at the north so I think I can use closed wall boundary. However, at the west I have coastline and an estuary at the left bottom corner which cannot be simply treated as river inflow. So my question is that can I use closed boundary on the west, while still accounting for the estuary at the southwest corner? Or is it possible to only apply boundary condition to selected cells on the west boundary?
Attachments
draft.png
draft.png (10.27 KiB) Viewed 6871 times

wilkin

Re: Boundary Condition Choice

#2 Unread post by wilkin »

If you put a one-cell wide strip of masked land down most of your west boundary, the open boundary condition can apply just to the "estuary".
John Wilkin: DMCS Rutgers University
71 Dudley Rd, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8521, USA. ph: 609-630-0559 jwilkin@rutgers.edu

soilinkin

#3 Unread post by soilinkin »

wilkin wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:17 am If you put a one-cell wide strip of masked land down most of your west boundary, the open boundary condition can apply just to the "estuary".
Thanks for your help. I thought about this as a possibility, but I wonder whether there is other option. This is because the pic I attached is a simplified example, the actual model grid is much more complicated. Adding a strip of land-masked cells is fair amount of work.

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

Adding a strip of land-masked cells is fair amount of work.
This is why it is good to know your tools. We have landmask editing in both Matlab and Python. Also, it is worthwhile to learn to edit netcdf files in SOME programming language.

soilinkin

#5 Unread post by soilinkin »

kate wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:17 pm
Adding a strip of land-masked cells is fair amount of work.
This is why it is good to know your tools. We have landmask editing in both Matlab and Python. Also, it is worthwhile to learn to edit netcdf files in SOME programming language.
Thank you.