implement the point source of sediment in the ocean

Sediment modeling collaborators: issues, applications, information exchange

Moderators: arango, robertson, rsignell

langlangxie

implement the point source of sediment in the ocean

#1 Unread post by langlangxie »

Hi,

I am running ROMS model with a sediment component. I would like to implement one point source of sediment at different level in the ocean.
There is a post similar to my question. The post address is “viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3787”.
The author of this post considered the point source as a river source. However, the location of sediment release is inside the ocean, and far from the land. So the method in the post is not right.
Can anyone tell me how to implement the point source of sediment in the ocean?

Thanks for your attention and help!
Best regards
yao

jcwarner

Re: implement the point source of sediment in the ocean

#2 Unread post by jcwarner »

I have not used this in a while, but there is a LtracerSrc option. Can you look in the ocean.in for this? There is a description at the bottom of the file.
-j

langlangxie

#3 Unread post by langlangxie »

jcwarner wrote:I have not used this in a while, but there is a LtracerSrc option. Can you look in the ocean.in for this? There is a description at the bottom of the file.
-j

Thanks.
I looked in the description of LtracerSrc in the ocean.in. It seems that it needs to add river runoff as a point source. However, the point source in my case is inside the ocean. So, I think this is not appropriate for my case. In the description, I noted one sentence "Other biological and sediment tracers switches are activated in their respective input scripts.". Therefore, I went to look the sediment.in scripts. Similar to the LtracerSrc in ocean.in, there is the SAND_Ltsrc in the sediment.in. However, it still needs to add river runoff as a point source. It also cannot be used in my case.
It is possible to implement the point source by adding sediment mass artificially after every time step (or other time interval). This needs to modify the based Fortran code, and would be complicated. This is difficult for me, could you give me some advises? Which F90 code should be modified?

Thanks very much for your help.
Regards,
yao

jcwarner

#4 Unread post by jcwarner »

i think it works without adding the river. give it a try.

langlangxie

#5 Unread post by langlangxie »

jcwarner wrote:i think it works without adding the river. give it a try.

Thanks.
Sorry, I am still confused.
I think if I add the river as the point source, it needs to switch on the SAND_Ltsrc in the sediment.in. And then a river netcdf file should be also set to SSFNAME (i.e. SSFNAME == my_rivers.nc) in the ocean.in. The netcdf file consists of river location, transport, temp, salt, sand, and so on. The sediment can be released at any level and in any time through this file. However, you said it works without adding the river. I am puzzled how I can set the release without adding the river. Can you tell me more about it?

Thanks very much for your help.
Regards,
yao