generating vgrid in pyroms with positive bathymetry values

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

JDTilley

generating vgrid in pyroms with positive bathymetry values

#1 Unread post by JDTilley »

I am trying to generate my first vertical grid using pyroms. I am having trouble understanding how to handle land points where the bathymetry is positive (negative actually). So far I've tried to deal with it by setting:

Code: Select all

hmin = -10
idx = np.where(hgrd.mask_rho == 0)
h[idx] = hmin
but I still end up with something like this (after opening in Seapy and setting depth rho and thicknesses).

On a side note. Are there any simple functions for creating climatology, boundary, and ini files in pyroms?

kate

Re: generating vgrid in pyroms with positive bathymetry valu

#2 Unread post by kate »

I have grids with wetting and drying, draping up and over the land in ROMS, but I don't know how it would plot with that tool.

Check out the pyroms/examples directory - it is mostly about creating boundary, ini, clm files from various sources.

JDTilley

#3 Unread post by JDTilley »

Thank you very much! I don't know how I missed that. That might be enough to get me on the right track.

EDIT: surely enough, handling the minimum values as in `pyroms/examples/stuff/make_grid.py` fixed it. In addition, I wasn't making the bathymetry depth positive. With these changes the climatology and boundary files can now be generated without any problems. Thanks!

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

You know, you might legitimately want a negative hmin if you want wetting and drying. Do you?

JDTilley

#5 Unread post by JDTilley »

I'm so new to this I honestly don't know. I have successfully run the upwelling and bio_toy examples, but this is my first attempt at a 3d grid. There is land in my grid. I should have it masked out, but I don't know how the program will treat it. It seems if there is some minimum sigma thickness, my only two options are to have grid points in the air, or have a minimum depth. I may be wrong about that though, and I'm not sure which option is better or even possible. I honestly would be happy just to get anything running right now. I am just attempting this mostly as an exercise and learning experience, so that I can build useful models in the future. I theoretically have created my grid, climatology, boundary, and initialization files. So (in theory), I am getting close to be able to do a test run. We'll see how that goes though! :lol:

kate

#6 Unread post by kate »

OK, then you should be set to run without wetting and drying, which is a specialized feature only needed in a few situations (modeling tidal mud flats).