OBC forcing with tide

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

matias.dinapoli

OBC forcing with tide

#1 Unread post by matias.dinapoli »

Hi!

I'm doing a model with which I want to see how the tide within my domain. For that I will force only open boundaries and see the tide as it spreads into my domian.

I have the tidal forcing files created from frc_tides.cdl for each boundary of my domain (just amplitude and phase of 14 harmonics extracted from FES2004). And now I want to force only the boundaries. My question is: how must I indicate to ROMS that it use frc_tide_south.nc to force the south open boundary, and so on? Because I don't know if I have to activate SSH_TIDES, ADD_FSOBC or indicate something more. I'm really confused.

smchen

Re: OBC forcing with tide

#2 Unread post by smchen »

To use tidal forcing in your south open boundary, you would specify Chapman for free-surface boundary condition and Flather for 2D U/V-momentum in ocean_yourproject.in. The corresponding CPP options are SSH_TIDES, which indicates ROMS to use tidal elevation (from your tidal forcing file) as the free-surface open boundary condition and UV_TIDES for 2D momentum open boundary conditions.

ADD_FSOBC and ADD_M2OBC are used when you want add climatology free-surface and 2D momentum to the open boundary conditions. If you don't have climatology file, these two options are unnecessary.

Shi-Ming

matias.dinapoli

Re: OBC forcing with tide

#3 Unread post by matias.dinapoli »

Thanks!

I thought if I activate SSH_TIDES the model will force all the domain and not just the boundary. I'll try it!