Setting up ROMS grid file

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

xupeng66

Setting up ROMS grid file

#1 Unread post by xupeng66 »

Hi All,

I am fairly new to ROMS and have several questions regarding setting up the grid file.

First, I want to know if I need to define the sigma-coordinate parameters: theta_s, theta_b, Tcline, Hc, etc., in the grid file?

Second, do I also need to define the s-coordinate and the value of the stretching function C at each rho and w points?

Lastly, how are the domain length el (eta direction) and xl (xi-direction) calculated for a non-rectangular domain?

Many Thanks!

Guangyu

kate

Re: Setting up ROMS grid file

#2 Unread post by kate »

You don't need any of the vertical grid information in the horizontal grid file. ROMS will compute the vertical grid info from the THETA parameters you specify in the ocean.in file.

Secondly, xl and el aren't used by ROMS for anything, though it does want to read them (and write them with wrt_info.F). There might be plotting codes that use them. You can provide some bogus value or just comment out those parts of get_grid.F, def_info.F and wrt_info.F.

xupeng66

Re: Setting up ROMS grid file

#3 Unread post by xupeng66 »

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply Kate. I have another question about setting the time step size. I will post it in a separate post.