RDRG and ZOS

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

redhat007

RDRG and ZOS

#1 Unread post by redhat007 »

Dear
would you please tell me that :
1- RDRG and RDRG2 will be used just when ever UV_LDRAG and UV_QDRAG be actived, respectively?
2-Also ZOS will be used and just when model compute wind stress by itself (for example by bulk-flux) and when wind stress be as a force file, it does not do anyting?
3-define, undef, ifdef meaning in header file is obvious but what is the meaning of ifndef?
For examplde

Code: Select all

define full_fluxes
ifdef full_fluxes
undef bulk_fluxes 
endif
:
:
ifndef full_fluxes
define bulk_fluxes
endif
Cheers
redhat

redhat007

Re: RDRG and ZOS

#2 Unread post by redhat007 »

Dear
sorry, i can find third question's answer :D .
But about two first questions, i need your idea yet.
Thanks for any reply.
All the best
redhat

kate

#3 Unread post by kate »

1. Yes
2. It looks like Zos is only used in the gls_corstep.F code. It would therefore be ignored if you don't use GLS_MIXING.

redhat007

#4 Unread post by redhat007 »

Many thanks for your reply
Model's current and elevation results by using ECMWF-Interim wind stress were overestimated in my domain (Caspian sea) and by using wind stress, which computed by Wu (1982), are better but underestimated (spatially for elevation).
what is your suggestion if i want to increase model's current speed and elevation? decreasing ZOB and ZOS can't solve it :( .

All the best

kate

#5 Unread post by kate »

You can play with the bottom drag or with the wind stress.

redhat007

#6 Unread post by redhat007 »

thanks for reply
would you please if bottom drag should be in any specific limitation tell me its upper and down limit?
Cheers
redhat

kate

#7 Unread post by kate »

I don't know about a lower limit - well zero since you don't want to go negative.

The upper limit you can see by checking the LIMIT_BSTRESS code in set_vbc.F. Going above that will lead to a timestepping instability. Of course, you can #define LIMIT_BSTRESS and then go for a huge value, counting on the LIMIT_BSTRESS code to keep things stable.